New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

My iMac screen is messed up

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dmat15

Dmat15 is on a distinguished road

Hey y'all my iMac screen has random vertical lines going up and down it what can I do to fix it?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmat15 View Post
Hey y'all my iMac screen has random vertical lines going up and down it what can I do to fix it?
A photo would help...but if it's the sort of vertical lines I've seen many times...it's usually a sign that the graphics hardware on the iMac is "heading South". And no...there's really nothing that can be done that would be financially responsible.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

If the random vertical lines are thin 1 pixel wide, then it's more likely your LCD panel has failed. This was very common on 17" iMacs from 2006. If you can still view your desktop there is a quick check you can run. Note the thickness and position of the vertical lines, then drop the screen resolution. If the lines remain the same the LCD panel will require require replacement. If they increase in thickness it's more likely to be a logic board or video card fault, depending upon your model of iMac. Attaching an external display via an adapter is another way to determine what has failed.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
Dmat15

Dmat15 is on a distinguished road

@Techiesteve thanks so much that helps to know what it is. The lines stayed the same so I think it is the LCD display. I appreciate it y'all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini Question | convincing family about mac »