New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

convincing family about mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yoyo13579

yoyo13579 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL

never mind
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo13579 View Post
all i need are more upsides or places with cheaper macs
I dont see why you need this because of your quote below . . . . . .

Quote:
im a huge mac fan. problem? I was raised by windows family. in my earlier post, i asked if the cheap mac mini would be a good fit because its cheaper. How do i convince my family to a mac. my parents wan something windows for 500..
It is obvious to me that your parents DONT want a Mac or anything to do with them. Just because you are happy with your's, doesnt mean they have to be happy to convert over to Mac or more so OS X. Being parents, they will be set in their way and seem to me that they are content to have another Windows machine.
If they are not to tech savvy, then you have to also deal with teachng them a new OS, and if they cant get hold of it, to then deal with their mood, because they cant get hold of the Mac OS.

If i was you, and if you really, really want to push them in that direction, give them a bit of time on your Mac to see if they can handle it.
IMHO there is no need what so ever to get them a Mac, because YOU want them too, when all you will be doing is Booting into Windows for them to feel comfortable, and to play games etc.
There is no logic in that what so ever.
Sorry about being blunt, but thats the low down of it.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

TM is spot on with his advice. You are already a satisfied Mac user and that's great. There is no reason to believe that your parents wont' be just as happy with a Windows computer of their liking. Frankly, Windows XP and Windows 7 ( the two I have most experience with in the past decade) are very stable versions of Windows.

The issues largely come from not having the necessary anti-malware software to protect the computer from the dangers lurking on the Internet.

Also, if gaming is a big enough priority and if you do a search, you'll find that most of us recognize that Macs trail Windows in the gaming department. While you can certainly run games on Macs, the need to match the game to the specific hardware means you are going to be limited.

Allow them to stick to Windows and enjoy your Mac..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
yoyo13579

Mac Specs: early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL

i was harsh, i just wanted them to see you get a better deal with mac, if they stay windows, i wont be angry
QUOTE Thanks
yoyo13579

im takin this post down, i realized i posted this when i was tired, an i sound like a jerk in it
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
never mind
Aw come on...that's the easy way out!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
yoyo13579

let me rephrase, my parents really like long lasting stuff, they are just a little stubborn with the money part, but i really think if they willingly tried it, they would like. my dad barley (maybe twice a year) uses a computer. and my mom uses internet and word documents. not a big change, my parents arent dead set on interface but money,
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

What I'd recommend and what I have done with family members (kids/parents) - primarily for those that really needed a Mac because they couldn't maintain a malware/virus free machine and I was always having to fix their Windows machine - I bought them their first Mac. None of them have had any desire to go back to Windows when it came time for them to purchase their own next computer.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
my dad barley (maybe twice a year) uses a computer.
FYI...this is "barley" (barley is a grain):

I'm guessing the word you're looking for is "barely".

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Also, I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm guessing that you aren't financially independent yet, so technically it's their money so they can spend it however they want..

It's usually a "young" person's attitude to suggest how elders should behave or spend.. I think we've all done that..I was so much cooler when I was younger, but now that I'm my a parent..I'm definitely not cool as I thought I was per my daughter..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
It's usually a "young" person's attitude to suggest how elders should behave or spend..
REALLY...this isn't the way it's supposed to work!!!

Quote:
...I was so much cooler when I was younger, but now that I'm my a parent..I'm definitely not cool as I thought I was per my daughter..
One thing that I've learned as I've gotten older (actually a belief I've had since my teens)...is that being cool is highly over-rated!!! Just look where most of the "cool" kids from high school are today...enough said!

There's nothing more sad then seeing the "cool" star high school football player (10, 20, or 30 years later)...sitting in an old worn out easy chair...drinking 2 six-packs a day...with a gut as big as a beachball. Kind of like this guy:

For all you "cool" 14-18 years-olds out there...don't laugh...many of you WILL look like this (10, 20, 30 years in the future)...believe it or not!

- Nick

p.s. And no...this is not a self-portrait!!!
p.p.s. Tattoo's are optional!

QUOTE Thanks
yoyo13579

Quote:

It's usually a "young" person's attitude to suggest how elders should behave or spend..)
so true, i will admit, i have done this
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

p.s. And no...this is not a self-portrait!!!

If i didnt know you as a avid runner, then i would of called B.S hahaha

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
yoyo13579

how do i take a post down
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
how do i take a post down
You don't. Threads aren't private...they're here for all of us to read and learn from.

Community Guidlelines

If you discontinue posting...folks will discontinue replying...and the thread will "Ride Off into the Sunset".

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My iMac screen is messed up | Do you partition your internal Sata drives? »