Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Feb 16, 2013
    Posts
    3
    Looking at buying an iMac Core 2 Duo T5600
    My first post here. Am looking to get a small-ish machine that will live in the kitchen and be used mostly by my wife. I get emails from time to time from this company that sells refurbs and the price "seems" right, but I don't want to buy a dinosaur that won't keep up with its own shadow. Price is $200 + shipping.

    I like the looks and specs on this machine, but, being mostly a Windows guy, don't know much about it. Maybe someone can clue me in on whether it is worth messing with. Assuming all the hardware works OK, what can I expect as far as performance (looking for mostly a surfing box with some e-mailing and file moving) and life expectancy. Specs are below:

    Apple iMac Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83GHz 1GB 160GB DVD±RW 17" AirPort OS X w/Webcam

    Mac OS X 10.4.9 pre-installed
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz dual-core processor
    667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache
    1 GB DDR2 RAM (supports up to 2 GB)
    160 GB Serial ATA hard drive
    Slot-loading DVD±RW drive
    Intel GMA 950 graphics w/64 MB DDR2 /128 MB of DDR SDRAM
    Integrated audio
    Built-in stereo speakers
    Built-in microphone
    Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T Ethernet
    Built-in 54 Mbps 802.11g AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi wireless networking
    Built-in iSight camera
    17-inch widescreen TFT active matrix display
    Aluminum stand with an adjustable hinge

    Thanks in advance for any help. Please don't beat on me too much for having a Windows background

    Edit to add: looks like it will take up to 2GB ram, which I can probably install if it needs it.

  2. #2

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,554
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    That's not a bad system, since it is an Intel based iMac, you can install OS X Snow Leopard on there. Upgrade the RAM to the maximum it can support and you should be fine..

    $200 is not a bad price either..what about any warranty?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Feb 16, 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    That's not a bad system, since it is an Intel based iMac, you can install OS X Snow Leopard on there. Upgrade the RAM to the maximum it can support and you should be fine..

    $200 is not a bad price either..what about any warranty?

    Thanks for the reply RE. I have dealt with that company before and they are good about standing behind what they sell. It comes with a 90 day warranty, which is plenty good for me.

    Yeah, I noticed it has an Intel chip, which made me a bit nervous as I inherited an iBook G4 with an Intel chip and it won't do much and seems to be stuck in its own time warp as far as upgrades. I was worrying about this having the same affliction.

    So you're saying the software that is on there is not what I want? Snow Leopard is better?

    DDR2 is cheap enough, so there's no reason not to stick it in there. Anybody have any experience tearing into one of these animals? Might it be like a laptop that has individual covers over the vitals or does the whole thing have to come apart to upgrade the RAM?

  4. #4

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,141
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Yeah, I noticed it has an Intel chip, which made me a bit nervous as I inherited an iBook G4 with an Intel chip and it won't do much and seems to be stuck in its own time warp as far as upgrades.
    No it doesn't. iBook G4's don't have an Intel cpu in them. If it's as slow as you say...then it is an iBook G4...but it has a PPC G4 cpu...not an Intel cpu. If it actually does have an Intel cpu...then it's not an iBook G4.

    The iMac with an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu will be much better.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Feb 16, 2013
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    No it doesn't. iBook G4's don't have an Intel cpu in them. If it's as slow as you say...then it is an iBook G4...but it has a PPC G4 cpu...not an Intel cpu. If it actually does have an Intel cpu...then it's not an iBook G4.

    The iMac with an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu will be much better.

    - Nick
    Hey Nick,

    Thank you for straightening me out. You're right, it is a 1.2 Ghz PowerPC. Not wanting to go off-topic here, but was just trying to make sure that I'm not buying into that same technology.

    If y'all think this box will make a good all-around kitchen machine, I'll pull the trigger on it. Seems TigerDirect had some of these same refurbs but they're sold out. The reviews on them are good, however.

  6. #6

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,141
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Not wanting to go off-topic here, but was just trying to make sure that I'm not buying into that same technology.
    Totally understandable...I totally agree with your concerns & logic!

    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If y'all think this box will make a good all-around kitchen machine, I'll pull the trigger on it. Seems TigerDirect had some of these same refurbs but they're sold out. The reviews on them are good, however.
    $200 is a pretty good price for one of these. It would be nice if could be upgraded to greater than 2gig of ram & if it had better graphics hardware...but for $200 you can't go wrong!

    - Nick

    p.s. First things I would do when you get it are:

    - upgrade the ram to 2gig
    - upgrade the OS to 10.6 (Snow Leopard)...$19.99 fom the Apple online store (website).
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iMac 4,1 CPU Upgrade; From Core Duo to Core 2 Duo?
    By 328ifun in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 12:52 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 04:38 AM
  3. 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo (T5600) Firewire issue
    By soundsfuller in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 05:00 PM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •