New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Can you use 5.1 speaker set-up within an iMac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Hello:

I was at the apple store this past weekend, and was set on purchasing the intel iMac. But before I make the plunge, I just want to do a little more research.

Currently, I have a form factor PC. The sound card enables me to hook-up my 5.1 Logitech speakers (Z-5500). There is an input for the sub, center, rear, etc.

I noticed the iMac only has one 1/8" input jack. Is there a way to hook-up a 5.1 speaker system?

Thanks,

VJ
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

The iMac G5 and the new Intel Core Duo iMac actually have an optical audio out; the headphone/miniplug jack works like a (plain old stereo) headphone jack when headphones are plugged in, but become an optical TOSLINK-style connector with the addition of an adaptor or cable kit. Connect that to a 5.1 speaker system with a TOSLINK-style input, and you're good to go.
QUOTE Thanks
VakeJ

VakeJ is on a distinguished road

Thanks for responding to my post. The apple store employee actually showed me the cables you mentioned.

Unfortunately, my 5.1 speakers don't have an optical line. I checked behind the subwoofer (all cables plug into it), and I don't see an input for a optical line. My system has three lines which connect to the back of my computer (rear, center, subwoofer).

So is there any sort of cable/adapter to convert these three line to an optical line? Hard for me to believe that I'm only one with this issue. What speaker system are you using for your imac.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

VJ
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Closing Hook | Mac Mini Scerrn resolutions »