Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Office 2011 for Mac" vs. "Parallels 8 w/Windows 7"
    Would really like to know the advantages and disadvantages of each. Your personal experiences.

My most important criterion is that I be able to send files to PCs and have the original formatting be kept 100% in tact! And vice versa.

I will be buying an iMac and cannot decide on which option to select. Thank you!

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Office 2011 is an application while Parallels is virtual machine software. No comparison. What exactly are you asking? Are you asking about running Windows 7 using Parallels and then MS Office the Windows version within Windows 7? If that's what you're asking, go with Office 2011 for the Mac as it's fully compatible with the Windows version.

My desire is to run Office as efficiently as possible and have it be totally compatible with PCs. In other words, if I create a file (Powerpoint, etc.) on the Mac, I want it to be able to be sent to a PC and retain its full formatting in tact - 100% if possible. Which would be better for such use?

Thanks!

Office for Mac definitely. You can "Save As" Word.doc, Presentation.ppt, etc ... When you hit "Save As" in these programs you can choose what compatibility you want to save it in. I do media presentations for my church, make them on my Mac and use the church's PC to run them - never had an issue.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.3
    I agree. I've run "Office for Mac" since the 2008 version and now use the 2011 version. No compatibility issues. I do a lot of PowerPoint work and some Word and Excell stuff. Never had a problem at either my end or the recipients'.

Like JonMark, my PowerPoint presentations are invariably presented via somebody else's PC.

Ian

Thank you for your responses. So, are you saying I can use my 200 page PowerPoint presentations created on a PC, with impeded photos, and display them perfectly (no formatting glitches) on the Mac? And further, and most importantly, I can similarly create just as complex PowerPoint presentations on my Mac with Office for Mac and then have that run on PCs with NO formatting glitches? Again, thanks.

Specs:
    Nothing is for sure in the world of computing and compatibility. You're just going to have to test your 200 page PP presentation to see if everything works OK. I will tell you this much.... I have transposed large PP presentations made in Office 2010 to Office 2011 without a single glitch. (And vice versa.)

The only thing that you can't always count on is fonts. For example, my Office for Mac has fonts that is offered in the 2010 Microsoft Office for PC, whereas for example the Microsoft Office for PC 2007 version (you can tell the difference in the file extension: 2010 - .docx, 2007 - .doc) does not have all of the fonts offered in the 2010 version.

So, let's say you're creating a PowerPoint presentation on your Mac and using a font that's offered in the 2010 Office, then if the PC recipient has the 2010 version they will view it without a single glitch. But if the PC recipient has the 2007 version, it may redo all the fonts to something common like Arial.

Knowing this, I've always created my presentations in most common fonts possible - Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Otherwise, no glitches.

Thank you all for the inputs! Have any of you used the Parallels 7 or 8, and if so how did you find it compared to Office for Mac?

Specs:
    Your question makes no sense. Parallels is virtual machine software which can be used to run Windows or Linux in a VM. Office 2011 is the latest Mac Office suite.

You can run Office 2010 (Windows version) from a Windows virtual machine in Parallels. Office 2011 can not be run in Parallels.

I see you misinterpreted my question. I asked if anyone has run Windows using Parallel 7 or 8 and how they compared that experience with their experience of using Office 2011 for Mac. Of course, one is in a VM mode and the other isn't.

Specs:
    Your question was poorly worded and did not make sense. There was no misinterpretation. Now that you have restated it so that it does make some sense, we can attempt an answer....

Using Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox to run Windows applications works well enough for running most of them. Graphic intensive applications that require 3D acceleration (games) do not always work well and sometimes will even fail.

Now what has running Parallels have to do with comparing an experience running Office 2011? Office 2011 for the Mac can not be run in Parallels. If you're asking about running Office 2010 (the Windows version) in Parallels, it works very well.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Specs:
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, El Capitan, 10.11.3
    Good morning jtdavis

I think what it comes down to is this: if your requirements are limited to Office apps such as PP, Word, Excell etc, then Office 2011 for Mac does it all and is great because the Mac treats it like any other app.

If, on the other hand, you want the full Windows experience with, for example, access to Windows-only apps or games and you like the way Windows handles things, then you require either a VM environment or Bootcamp - but then, if you like Windows so much, why buy a Mac?

I confess to never having used any VM software or Bootcamp, but I hope my reply goes some way to answering your question. I think Office 2011 for Mac is great.

Ian

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Your question was poorly worded and did not make sense. There was no misinterpretation. Now that you have restated it so that it does make some sense, we can attempt an answer....
    I was confused as well by what exactly was being asked in the initial question/post!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    OAre you asking about running Windows 7 using Parallels and then MS Office the Windows version within Windows 7? If that's what you're asking, go with Office 2011 for the Mac as it's fully compatible with the Windows version.
    I think that filled in the blanks nicely.

Is there a question of cost here? That is, do you already own Parallels and Windows 7 and MS Office? If not, it's probably going to cost less to go with Office for Mac 2011 as well.

Thread Information