New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

"Office 2011 for Mac" vs. "Parallels 8 w/Windows 7"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jtdavis

jtdavis is on a distinguished road

Would really like to know the advantages and disadvantages of each. Your personal experiences.

My most important criterion is that I be able to send files to PCs and have the original formatting be kept 100% in tact! And vice versa.

I will be buying an iMac and cannot decide on which option to select. Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Office 2011 is an application while Parallels is virtual machine software. No comparison. What exactly are you asking? Are you asking about running Windows 7 using Parallels and then MS Office the Windows version within Windows 7? If that's what you're asking, go with Office 2011 for the Mac as it's fully compatible with the Windows version.
QUOTE Thanks
jtdavis

My desire is to run Office as efficiently as possible and have it be totally compatible with PCs. In other words, if I create a file (Powerpoint, etc.) on the Mac, I want it to be able to be sent to a PC and retain its full formatting in tact - 100% if possible. Which would be better for such use?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
JonMark

JonMark is on a distinguished road

Office for Mac definitely. You can "Save As" Word.doc, Presentation.ppt, etc ... When you hit "Save As" in these programs you can choose what compatibility you want to save it in. I do media presentations for my church, make them on my Mac and use the church's PC to run them - never had an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I agree. I've run "Office for Mac" since the 2008 version and now use the 2011 version. No compatibility issues. I do a lot of PowerPoint work and some Word and Excell stuff. Never had a problem at either my end or the recipients'.

Like JonMark, my PowerPoint presentations are invariably presented via somebody else's PC.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
jtdavis

Thank you for your responses. So, are you saying I can use my 200 page PowerPoint presentations created on a PC, with impeded photos, and display them perfectly (no formatting glitches) on the Mac? And further, and most importantly, I can similarly create just as complex PowerPoint presentations on my Mac with Office for Mac and then have that run on PCs with NO formatting glitches? Again, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing is for sure in the world of computing and compatibility. You're just going to have to test your 200 page PP presentation to see if everything works OK. I will tell you this much.... I have transposed large PP presentations made in Office 2010 to Office 2011 without a single glitch. (And vice versa.)
QUOTE Thanks
JonMark

JonMark is on a distinguished road

The only thing that you can't always count on is fonts. For example, my Office for Mac has fonts that is offered in the 2010 Microsoft Office for PC, whereas for example the Microsoft Office for PC 2007 version (you can tell the difference in the file extension: 2010 - .docx, 2007 - .doc) does not have all of the fonts offered in the 2010 version.

So, let's say you're creating a PowerPoint presentation on your Mac and using a font that's offered in the 2010 Office, then if the PC recipient has the 2010 version they will view it without a single glitch. But if the PC recipient has the 2007 version, it may redo all the fonts to something common like Arial.

Knowing this, I've always created my presentations in most common fonts possible - Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Otherwise, no glitches.
QUOTE Thanks
jtdavis

Thank you all for the inputs! Have any of you used the Parallels 7 or 8, and if so how did you find it compared to Office for Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Your question makes no sense. Parallels is virtual machine software which can be used to run Windows or Linux in a VM. Office 2011 is the latest Mac Office suite.

You can run Office 2010 (Windows version) from a Windows virtual machine in Parallels. Office 2011 can not be run in Parallels.
QUOTE Thanks
jtdavis

I see you misinterpreted my question. I asked if anyone has run Windows using Parallel 7 or 8 and how they compared that experience with their experience of using Office 2011 for Mac. Of course, one is in a VM mode and the other isn't.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Your question was poorly worded and did not make sense. There was no misinterpretation. Now that you have restated it so that it does make some sense, we can attempt an answer....

Using Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox to run Windows applications works well enough for running most of them. Graphic intensive applications that require 3D acceleration (games) do not always work well and sometimes will even fail.

Now what has running Parallels have to do with comparing an experience running Office 2011? Office 2011 for the Mac can not be run in Parallels. If you're asking about running Office 2010 (the Windows version) in Parallels, it works very well.
QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

Good morning jtdavis

I think what it comes down to is this: if your requirements are limited to Office apps such as PP, Word, Excell etc, then Office 2011 for Mac does it all and is great because the Mac treats it like any other app.

If, on the other hand, you want the full Windows experience with, for example, access to Windows-only apps or games and you like the way Windows handles things, then you require either a VM environment or Bootcamp - but then, if you like Windows so much, why buy a Mac?

I confess to never having used any VM software or Bootcamp, but I hope my reply goes some way to answering your question. I think Office 2011 for Mac is great.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Your question was poorly worded and did not make sense. There was no misinterpretation. Now that you have restated it so that it does make some sense, we can attempt an answer....
I was confused as well by what exactly was being asked in the initial question/post!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
OAre you asking about running Windows 7 using Parallels and then MS Office the Windows version within Windows 7? If that's what you're asking, go with Office 2011 for the Mac as it's fully compatible with the Windows version.
I think that filled in the blanks nicely.

Is there a question of cost here? That is, do you already own Parallels and Windows 7 and MS Office? If not, it's probably going to cost less to go with Office for Mac 2011 as well.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 smaller graphics cards or 1 big one? | I Mac will not turn on »