New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini vs iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gozumaki

gozumaki is on a distinguished road

Hi

My boss at work has asked me the question, should we get a Mac Mini or a new iMac.

When he asked I hadn't ever considered a Mac Mini at all, I assumed they were pretty hopeless for the work that we do, plus I had used one at my previous job and it was terrible. But that was over 5 years ago and it was old when I started using it.

Looking at the specs I'm guessing a Mac Mini could handle the amount of work we would throw at it, but that is a big risk.

I currently have running, constantly... QuarkXpress, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop. This is using a G4 Power PC with 512 RAM. It copes okay but recently it has really started to stuggle with large 300dpi images in Photoshop.

We do have an iMac also in the office, but it's hardly used. It doesn't seem to cope as well as the PowerPC which is crazy as the iMac has 1GB of Ram. On the tech side of all this I'm not the most knowledgeable, so please bare with me if details are vague.

So ye, as the Subject says, should we even consider a Mac Mini over an iMac which has to run the programmes which we use, day in, day out?

I honestly think the Mac Mini should really run better than both of the Mac's we have now, but I'm absolutely not sure about this at all, going by the Tech details, it sounds like it would eat both of them alive! I know the new iMac is best, but it does come down to cost at the end of the day, plus we have a Monitor etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Cheers

Goz'
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozumaki View Post
I currently have running, constantly... QuarkXpress, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop. This is using a G4 Power PC with 512 RAM. It copes okay but recently it has really started to stuggle with large 300dpi images in Photoshop.
For the tasks/software you mentioned...you would probably be better off with an iMac...since the iMac's have better video hardware. Actually most folks that do this type of graphics work get a Mac Pro desktop...but this may be outside of your budget...since they start at $2499.

I need to warn you of something...all of that software you are currently running on that G4 PowerPC computer you have will not run on a new iMac. That computer (and probably the software)...is in the neighborhood of 8-10 years old (at least)...and the software is just too old. So be prepared to spend probably over $1500+ to upgrade all of that software to newer versions. The newest version of QuarkXpress costs $849 by itself.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Comparing a new Mini 2.5Ghz and a new iMac 2.7GHz Geekbench shows the iMac to be 15% faster, 6773 to 7784. As Nick points out the iMac has a better graphics card.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
gozumaki

gozumaki is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies folks.

Ye, we're prepared for completely new software. I know the iMac is going to be a lot quicker, it was just a question of whether the Mini can handle running these programmes. It looks like we probably will go with the new iMac, but if people really did advise going for a Mac Mini then we would have definitely considered it.

The question only really came up due to a supplier of ours, who print Fine Art and Supply Printers etc mentioning getting a Mac Mini. I, myself would never even have considered this, but they are a very respectable and intelligent company, so we thought we would ask around, see what people's opinions were.

Thanks again folks, anymore arguments for and against is greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozumaki View Post
Looking at the specs I'm guessing a Mac Mini could handle the amount of work we would throw at it, but that is a big risk.

I honestly think the Mac Mini should really run better than both of the Mac's we have now, but I'm absolutely not sure about this at all, going by the Tech details...
It depends what you mean by "handle the amount of work you throw at it".

It's kind of like digging a BIG hole in the ground. You can use a spoon...which will definitely get the job done (it will just take a VERY long time)...or you can use a shovel (which will get the job done a lot faster).

Now I'm not necessarily saying that the difference between a Mac-Mini and an iMac is exactly like the difference between a "spoon" and a "shovel". Both computers are very close when it comes to processor speeds...but they are much different when it comes to graphics hardware (as I mentioned above).

Graphics hardware is VERY VERY important when doing graphics based tasks that you seem to be involved with. So the Mac-Mini will definitely get the job done...it will just take longer.

If you need to render a lot of graphics/images...the iMac will be able to do more in the same 24hr period than the Mac-Mini. Time is money...and you may find in the long run...the higher price of the iMac will DEFINITELY pay for itself in time saved (or more projects completed in the same time) compared to a Mac-Mini.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Thread moved to more appropriate area...not a "Schweb's Lounge" topic.

Thanks,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
oldhifi

oldhifi is on a distinguished road

I wish I had got the Mac Mini, too many problems with the IMAC
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well enumerate then for the original poster. Including iMac model and operating system.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2011 mini- installing fan/hd connectors | Monitor and Video Card Questions Mac Pro... »