27" iMac static sound problem
    Hello,

I have a Late 2009 27" i5 iMac whose hard drive was recently replaced under Apple's suggestion. I don't usually turn off my computer and I almost always have my iMac plugged into external speakers. I mention this because I just unplugged my speakers from the computer and noticed a lot of static/white noise that flickered in and out. It happened more often when I clicked on something new (thus the computer had to think a little extra). The only other time I hear this noise is when the computer turns on and the opening Mac OSX chord is played via the computer speakers. The sound is in the lower left hand corner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Dave

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Does the sound come from the iMac itself? If so, does pressing/holding your hand against the part where you think it's coming from make the sound change/stop?

If the sound was from the iMac itself I'd imagine you'd hear it regardless of the external speakers being plugged in or not..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Yes, the sound definitely changes when I put my hand against the computer. It really sounds like the left speaker is just not connected right. When I put my head up close to it I noticed that there is constant, soft static and then intermittent bursts of louder static sounds. It almost sounds like the stereotypical walkee talkee signing off sound.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    If the sound started by right after the hard drive replacement, it is entirely possible that something was screwed up during re-assembly..

Perhaps you can take it to a local Apple Store to show it to them and have them take it apart and put it back together for you?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Thread Information