New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Completely disconnected thermal sensor off MacMini 2010 motherboard.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

apomarinov

apomarinov is on a distinguished road

I replaced my 320HDD in my Mac Mini 2010 with an SSD, while doing so I accidentally removed from the motherboard the thermal sensor(I`m not sure what it really is, but I saw that it is sticked to the SuperDrive) along with its socket that is located on the right next to the fan connector.

When I turned on the mac mini my monitor doesn't light up and after a few seconds the fan went to a really high rpm. I turned it off immediately. I`m not sure if this is the problem, what could be the cause and what can I do?

Edit: The monitor lights up as usual, its working it's just the fan that goes fast.
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Sounds like because it can no longer read temperature settings its defaulting to a high rpm setting to protect itself from overheating. How are you with a soldering iron?

I find the best way to locate rogue DHCP servers is to send 240V down the appropriate port. Follow the smoke.
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

Also found this. FAN on full speed after hd upgrade - Mac mini Model A1347 - iFixit

I find the best way to locate rogue DHCP servers is to send 240V down the appropriate port. Follow the smoke.
QUOTE Thanks
apomarinov

Hey, thanks. Well I replaced the sensors from the HDD to the SSD. In a tutorial video if I recall correctly they didnt even reattached the sensors on the SSD.
In the link you posted it turns out that it cant read from the HDD sensor that was removed and goes full speed, right?
Then I guess that the sensor has to be reconnected to the motherboard. I`ve had my experience with soldering and tiny transistors and such, but it was long time ago and this is really tiny
QUOTE Thanks
apomarinov

Problem solved, I'll have to reconnect the sensor to the MB.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail keeps logging out | Passing on my iMac to my wife »