New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Imac might need updating [hardware]..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newmanm

newmanm is on a distinguished road

Hey guys!

So my dad has a 2011 IMAC with the newest os and its been freezing on him a lot. I really dont think it's software related because we've done most of the maintenance work on it already and are still having similar issues.

Im beginning to suspect upping the ram might be the best place to start but I wanted to ask everyone here what they thought first. He is using 8gb now but uses paralleles for running xp which im sure uses a lot of resources from the mac.(it is mac thats freezing btw and not windows, usually) Mainly I wanted to ask because my dad wants to buy ram through apple which is nearly 400 for 16gb. Tiger direct is around 150-200. Is the ram from apple special in anyway?

If the ram doesn't work, not an expert, but I was going to suggest that the next upgrade he could try would be installing a solid state drive. Do you think this could help also?

Last on my list was to up the graphics but I doubt that really plays an important role since his work is mostly personal use like Microsoft office etc. But would this be something we should consider too?

I hope this was the right place to post, I think this is more of a hardware issue as his ram is most likely outdated which is causing the frequent freezing up. He's basically screaming at his machine now and I'm the one who recommended to him buying mac (which I would always still do )

anyways, thank you all for your help! Any input you guys have is always great!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmanm View Post
So my dad has a 2011 IMAC with the newest os and its been freezing on him a lot. I really dont think it's software related because we've done most of the maintenance work on it already, and still is having similar issues.
"Freezing" is a very generic term...so it would help if you could describe with more detail exactly when it is freezing.

Generally speaking...freezing can occur due to:

- bad/unstable software or software conflicts
- defective hardware

And with Macintosh computers...many times the application will "Unexpectantly Quit" (message from the OS)...which will not completely "freeze" the computer.

You really don't want it to be defective hardware...because in almost all cases (except for maybe ram and hard drive)...you cannot do anything about it. Software on the other hand can cause "freezing"...and to figure this out...you need to find out what application or combination of applications (being run at the same time) are causing the freezing (and this can be a headache of an experiment trying to figure it out).

Quote:
Im beginning to suspect upping the ram might be the best place to start but I wanted to ask everyone here what they thought first.
The only way to test this theory is to have good replacement ram to do the test. If the same problem happens with new (good) ram...then it's not the ram.

Quote:
He is using 8gb now but uses paralleles for running xp which im sure uses a lot of resources from the mac.(it is mac thats freezing btw and not windows, usually)...
This maybe true (that the freezing occurs when running Windows)...but you have to remember that Windows (on your dad's Mac) is being run in emulation via Parallels...so the problem could also be Parallels.

Quote:
Mainly I wanted to ask because, my dad wants to buy ram through apple which is nearly 400 for 16gb. Tiger direct is around 150-200. Is the ram from apple special in anyway?
No ram from Apple is not special in any way...and it's usually much more expensive. We almost always recommend purchasing ram from:

- OWC
- Crucial

Quote:
If the ram doesn't work, not an expert, but I was going to suggest that the next upgrade he could try would be installing a solid state drive. Do you think this could help also?
It's always possible that the HD is causing problems...but if I was a betting person...I would say unlikely. But again (just like the ram)...you need to install a known (good) HD or SSD to test the theory.

Quote:
Last on my list was to up the graphics but I doubt that really plays an important role since his work is mostly personal use like Microsoft office etc. But would this be something we should consider too?
There's nothing you can really do here. The graphics on 2011 iMac's is not upgradeable in any way...so you go what you got.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

By the way (since your dad's computer is a 2011 iMac)...you may want to look into this hard drive replacement program from Apple:

Apple - Support - iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program

Who knows...if this iMac qualifies...maybe the HD is the source of the problem.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

8GB should be more than ample. Here OWC and Crucial are recommended for memory. Do not buy from Apple.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memor...1/DDR3_21.5_27

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« wet keyboard | When bootcamp goes wrong »