New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Help bring the beast back to life

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ozbok

ozbok is on a distinguished road

Any useful advice greatly appreciated.

Hey there folks
I'm running a
Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
PowerPC G4 CPU Speed:450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):1 MB
Memory: 1.62 GB
Bus Speed:100 MHz
System Version:Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S165)

I have had this unit from new and only now is starting to let me down speed wise and with firefox.

Any ideas to help bring back the beast?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Sorry to suggest time for a new computer. Nothing will bring a 450MHz machine up to modern standards. Had a MDD G4 and even tried installing a CPU upgrade. Still the system bus speed throttled it. You sure have had your money's worth out of it.

If you go the way of a new computer make sure it is a Core 2 Duo at least. Do not invest in a PowerPC machine such as a G5.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ozbok

ozbok is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately Harry.... $ is the problem. when I first got the beast i was single and no responsibilities. Now i'm married with 2 kids and paying off a house and 2 cars. There is no way I can claim a new machine on tax. God forbid I might have to resort to a *shudders* windows box.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I don't think Harry was recommending going to your local Apple store and buying a new MacBook Pro. You can find used Macs on Craig's List and of course eBay. And sometimes your local "Green Sheet" will have some for sale. Just make sure you buy an Intel driven machine that's a least powered by a Core 2 Duo processor. I would think you should be able to find something for less than $500 that will last you for a few years.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozbok View Post

I have had this unit from new and only now is starting to let me down speed wise and with firefox.

Any ideas to help bring back the beast?
While the specifications & abilities of a computer stay the same (such as your 450mhz Powermac G4)...as time goes on, the computing "world" gets more & more complex. So over time...the ability of a specific computer model to do "modern" things...becomes less & less & less.

This 450mhz Powermac G4 was introduced in August, 1999...HELLO...that would make it approx. 13.5 years old at this point. 13.5 years is OLD, OLD, OLD for a computer!!!

It was a "beast" in 1999...but it's barely a "minnow" in 2013. And FYI...a 100% working example of a 450mhz Powermac G4 in 2013 is worth about $25 bucks here in the US.

About 3 years ago I purchased a 700mhz Powermac G4 (a good bit faster)...for $30 bucks...and it included a printer!

If you cannot afford to purchase a MUCH newer computer...dual-cpu Powermac G5's (much much faster than your Powermac G4)...are selling for about $100-$125. But getting a newer Mac with a core 2 duo Intel cpu would be much better.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

By 'new' I meant new to you. Not necessarily a brand new Mac from the Apple Store. You will find any intel machine far superior. A say 2007 20" iMac will run the latest operating system and you should get one pretty reasonably priced.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IMAC squeaking | iMac A1173 2006 Upgrade Help Please! »