New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

virus protection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

morgan727

morgan727 is on a distinguished road

I need to Install a virus protection on my Imac running MTN LION. Any recommendations ?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan727 View Post
I need to Install a virus protection on my Imac running MTN LION. Any recommendations ?
Hello morgan727 and welcome.

No we generally really don't see the need...however if you really really really must install something then Clamxav is the one most recommended ClamXav

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Why would you need protection from something that does not exist on a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
morgan727

I believe my mac was hacked.My camera was taken over by someone.Maybe it was from a attachment from an email. I just want to prevent this.
QUOTE Thanks
morgan727

Is it possible for a imac to be hacked?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Quote:
I believe my mac was hacked.My camera was taken over by someone.Maybe it was from a attachment from an email. I just want to prevent this.
Someone, for example an administrator, would have had to have installed and authorised some software for example Apple Remote Desktop to do this. It's highly unlikely.

Try running Repair Disk Permissions on your HDD in Disk Utility and make sure you OS is completely up to date.

Have a look at this also Official antivirus, malware, and firewall FAQ

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I run sophos on my mac. I dont see a problem with having it or not having it. My machine is fast enough that i dont notice a performace difference.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

As others have said there are no viruses and very few malware threats to Mac OS X. Most do not run any AV software however if you come from the windows world and are concerned, download ClamXAV which is freeware. If you run Windows by VM< or BootCamp, download Microsoft's Security Essentials, also freeware.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
iMichael

iMichael is on a distinguished road

I suggest WebrootSecureAnywhere.

Even though Macs don't have many Malware issues or hacking issues.

You can buy the program at Best Buy.
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

If a user feels happier with AV, Sophos home edition is ideal. It's free, effective and non intrusive. It's likely to only identify PC viri attached to emails though, as there are minimal threats in OS X. Never buy Norton AV.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Never buy Norton AV.
I agree. I avoid Symantec products whenever I can - whether it's on my Macs or PCs.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that either isn't malware related or doesn't require AV. In the mean time, let's break this down a bit. What makes you think this?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

I run "Avast!" but it has never caught anything. Scanning my computer has never come up with any threats...could not say that about W.
QUOTE Thanks
linearbit8

linearbit8 is on a distinguished road

I use iAntivirus. it's not realtime, but you can scan whenever. I got it on the app stare.
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that either isn't malware related or doesn't require AV. In the mean time, let's break this down a bit. What makes you think this?
I'm interested to see the reply to vansmith's question.

Why throw snake oil (avast, iAntivirus, and the like) at something when you don't even know the symptoms or cause yet?

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini weird restart from sleep/screen sleep | Mail keeps logging out »