New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Graphics cards on new iMacs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Paskell

Paskell is on a distinguished road

i am looking at the 21.5" or the 27" the seller is size yes but price as well.. is it really worth the money to have the bigger screen and better graphics card? i agree with the screen parts obvs but i am curious is there that much diff from the
GT 650M 512MB to the GTX 660M with 512MB / GTX 675MX with 1GB
mostly will be used on games like mmo etc i am leaning more towards the 27" with upgraded ram but is it really worth it for the graphics card? if not i may just save alot of money and get a 21.5 with upgrades.. if its not worth it just for games. I also realize games will need more memory and graphics power in the future.. just stuck in a hard spot. Opinions?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Start here:
Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - NotebookCheck.net Tech

It'll give you a good insight into comparative performance, as well as real-world game performance examples

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

-The graphics card upgrade from Apple is relativley cheap ($135) but you can't upgrade the card yourself on any model iMac. What you get is what you have for the life of the machine.

-The RAM is upgradable on the 27 and you can slap an extra 8Gb in there for less than $65, I just did this to my brand new 27 iMac.

-The Graphics card upgrade provides you with some kind of "future proofing" to a certain extent and will likely extend the useful life of the machine. This is never a bad thing.

-Lastly, my standard advice. Always buy the most machine you can afford. If you can afford the card and then get extra RAM, do both (don't buy RAM from Apple, buy it 3rd party, it's cheaper). If you can only do 1 right now, get the card, you can get RAM later.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Transferring from Macbook to iMac | Possible for damaged iPhone USB cable to ruin whole USB bus? »