New iMac or Mac mini
    I have been looking at the new iMac and Mac mini I am just curious if new models will be released anytime soon. I realize this is more towards Mac mini as the iMac is new. I already have a 2011 Mbp but its not powerful enough for my needs for gaming etc. I am curious of people's opinions on what one is better or better value. And I don't know a lot about the diff of graphic cards etc.

I really like the iMac but if the mini comes out with a decent upgrade I'm not sure what to do.

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    The iMac just updated - while as you said the Mac Mini has been out for a while. What it usually comes down to - is do you already have a monitor and peripherals? If you do - then you could probably get a Mac Mini. The iMac is a great all-in-one and comes with a big or a bigger display. Downside to an iMac is there is no way to upgrade it. You could still - in theory use it as a monitor for any thunderbolt capable computer.

The new iMacs do have some pretty decent discrete memory cards - but you'll probably want some multi-card setup to get best gaming performance. The Mini on the other hand are using the Intel HD4000 - which are OK but not great for 3d games.

If you really want to do computer gaming - and the 2011 MBP isn't enough - you'll probably want to just build a gaming PC and run Windows. You could get a Mac and bootcamp it - but then if your final goal is to make a gaming rig - then you could put together a much faster system for a lot less money if you build it yourself.

I don't have a monitor either so I was more towards iMac as its graphics card is better but if the new mini is going to be any better it would save me money. I'm not a hardcore gamer mostly just WOW and mmo similar to it. I just dislike widows so I'd prefer a Mac all in all. Not sure if a 1gb vid card is nessisary or not? Or more like the 2gb on 27" iMac

Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    The discrete video cards with their own memory will be better for 3d gaming. The Intel HD4000 is OK - but if you don't have peripherals it may be better to get the iMac.

Thread Information