New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Do I need a DVI convertor or a new display screen?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bjr001

bjr001 is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have an Apple 17” LCD display with a DVI connector. I have a Mac Pro Intel 2.66mhz model A1186 with an ATI Radeon X1900XT graphics card that I’m looking to acquire. The DVI connector on my Apple display is larger than the DVI connectors on this video card.

I located a DVI to VGA converter and hooked up a 17” VGA monitor to this Mac. The machine powers on fine but it don’t display any video. I’m assured the Mac works fine. Which converter do I require to hook it up to my Mac 17” LCD display? Do I just need a different monitor?

Thank you for your advice and time.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You would need a female ADC to male DVI converter, but it also has to supply power as well
Apple DVI to ADC Monitor Adapter Power Supply A1006 | eBay

You would be better off with a new LCD

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

The converter is well and truly passed its use by day. These were popular back in G4 days, late nineties and early this century. They require mains power and with over ten years of use are pretty slow to boot up. The best option would be one of the cheaper LCD/LED displays such as a 21" BenQ or similar for not too much more. They abound on eB ay such as ghis one:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BenQ-E220...#ht_500wt_1413

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bjr001

bjr001 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Louis,

Given the price of this adapter/power supply, It would seem wiser to put that money into a new display or a used Apple Cinema display. I take it the Apple Cinema displays with the metal housing have the standard DVI connector or not?

Thanks for your time.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Random black lines appear on desktop? | Query about Console Errors »