New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Transferring from Macbook to iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DGimac

DGimac is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I currently own a 2007 MacBook. I am awaiting a 27 inch IMac and when it is finally delivered im not too sure how to deal with the data transfer. I've been told there's something called data migration which sounds fantastic however I really like the fact that ive got a brand new computer and all the setup that comes with it.

I'm looking to predominantly transfer my iTunes library. I have thought about putting it on an external hard drive and copying it over however Im concerned that when i plug my iPhone into sync it wont have the backup from my MacBook.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

D
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You do have the option to transfer the user and settings only, leaving off the applications

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4889

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
DGimac

DGimac is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help!

D
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

I used the Time Machine backup from my MBP when setting up my new iMac 21.5" 2 weeks ago. I had to make a couple of tweaks afterwards. Rename the iMac to "iMac" from "MBP" and create a new T.M. backup with a new external. I wanted each machine to have their own T.M. backup drive for redundancy. But it was really fast and easy.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
I used the Time Machine backup from my MBP when setting up my new iMac 21.5" 2 weeks ago. I had to make a couple of tweaks afterwards. Rename the iMac to "iMac" from "MBP" and create a new T.M. backup with a new external. I wanted each machine to have their own T.M. backup drive for redundancy. But it was really fast and easy.
Never restored from TM, especially a full restore...can you explain how you did this?

Thanks

Roscoe
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Never restored from TM, especially a full restore...can you explain how you did this?

Thanks

Roscoe
I did it when I first set up my new iMac. One of the first few options after you choose language, country, etc. is how to configure. It gives you the option to use a TM backup from an external drive. So, I plugged in the external that I had been using with my MBP and went through the prompts on the iMac. Basically it set my iMac up the same as if I was using my MBP - files and photos were in the same place and same tabs in Safari. It was really all automatic, no major configuring on my part.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
kflanary

kflanary is on a distinguished road

I literally took and external drive and copied the whole iTunes folder from my macbook pro and replaced the iTunes folder on my new iMac and it worked perfectly. They were both the same version of OSX and iTunes. And that way it copied my iphone backup as well as all my other settings.

To be safe he first time I plugged in my iPhone I did a "backup" before I did a sync. But it worked perfectly and I've done it before on other computers.
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Graphics card option on new iMac | Graphics cards on new iMacs »