New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

2009 21.5 imac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

specializedride

specializedride is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I have the late 2009 21.5 imac 3.06Ghz, 1tb HD 4GB ram which started to show the folder with the question mark when booting up. I ran the hardware test which confirmed a hard disk failure but last night my imac was able to boot up dispite being a little bit slow.

my question is, i still have some cover left on my apple care but will they replace the hard drive if the imac loads up?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by specializedride View Post
Hi all

I have the late 2009 21.5 imac 3.06Ghz, 1tb HD 4GB ram which started to show the folder with the question mark when booting up. I ran the hardware test which confirmed a hard disk failure but last night my imac was able to boot up dispite being a little bit slow.
As you already know...this hard drive is very very close to completely dying. DEFINITELY back up anything that is important (if not backed up already).

Quote:
my question is, i still have some cover left on my apple care but will they replace the hard drive if the imac loads up?
Technically speaking...Applecare only covers manufacturing defects. Since hard drives are mecanical devices (prone to wear just like tires/tyres on an automobile)...this would really not count as a manufacturing defect. Also..this hard drive has been in operation since 2009...so getting close to 4 years of use.

But with all that said...you never really know...Apple may replace it...you just have to check with Apple/your local Apple Store.

Good luck,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:
Describe your symptoms, and if any disk problem is detected the drive will be replaced if your AppleCare is still current. Also check your S/N here Apple - Support - iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
Describe your symptoms, and if any disk problem is detected the drive will be replaced if your AppleCare is still current. Also check your S/N here Apple - Support - iMac 1TB Seagate Hard Drive Replacement Program
Hey good one...I didn't realize that this hard drive replacement program covered iMac's all the way back to 2009. The OP's computer is definitely a "Late 2009" model (mentioned in the link)...so hopefully good news for the OP!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
specializedride

I Had already check the replacement program and my iMac is not on of the ones with a Seagate drive. according to the Hardware info my mac says it is using a WDC WD1001FALs-40U9B0 which i gather is a Western Digital drive. It was making some unusual noises before the issue started. Currently it's backup and running but i think it's only a matter of time before it completely fails.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Think you are right about the time limitation. Download and use to diagnose the health of your drive and receive advance warning before it goes. Suggest getting an external drive and clone the drive with SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner.

http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
specializedride

Hi have downloaded the Smart Reporter, also downloaded HD Tune pro as im running XP on bootcamp and it has given me some results.

21-January-2013_22-04.png
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Get ready to replace the drive. Got a reliable backup for transferring your information over? To have AppleCare the computer would have to be purchased in 2010. If so try Apple.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Nvidia Geforce GT 120 In 2011 MacPro ? | New or Refurbished iMac for features and speed? »