New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

No Sound

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jfpix

jfpix is on a distinguished road

My iMac lost its sound today. It was working perfectly, then the next time I wanted to listen to something, nothing, though the alert sound works. Any ideas on what's gone wrong and how it can be fixed?

Many Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

If the alert sound is working - then sound is working.

What are you listening to and in what program? I've found when I switched outputs (like from my headphones to my display Audio) some Apps do not like the switch. For example - if I switch outputs - Chrome won't output sound until I restart Chrome.

Secondly - did you plug anything into the audio jack? Of late I've had no problems plugging and unplugging headphones from the headphone jack - but I have had issues before where something didn't switch when I unplugged headphones.

Any more details - what you are using, what are your audio outputs, etc would help debug the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
jfpix

jfpix is on a distinguished road

Thank you, Ivan. Sorry, but I should have been more specific. I have tried ITunes and no problem, but with YouTube there is no sound when I unclick mute. There was no problem early today , then there was the problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac wont start. Powersupply? | optical drive? »