New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Confusion over fusion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
My purchase of an iMac is not too many months away, (failing any fiscal cliffs I may stumble on),

Along with many other options,
There appears we now have an array of drives to choose from, namely
SSD, Fusion and "normal" ? I think that is a SATA drive but that's a description by the "technology challenged", me!)

From what I have read so far,
SSD, fastest but smaller storage
Fusion, almost as fast as SSD but bigger storage but not as much as SATA
SATA, old technology, moving parts etc

I guess the question here would be,
"Out of the bunch, which is the most robust?"
I'm thinking of doing the back-up on two portable drives as I'm doing now and if one SATA drive dies, I have another

Fusion is new to me, never heard of it before
Regards,
Gary

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Read this article from PC Mag: LINK There are also many other articles explaining the Fusion drive, what it is, and how it works. Google, Google, Google......
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Read this article from PC Mag: LINK There are also many other articles explaining the Fusion drive, what it is, and how it works. Google, Google, Google......
Thank you,
Appreciate the link,
Yes! Have been googling, perhaps I need to change some search patterns
Regards,
Gary

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice Needed... | lifespan of mac »