New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro 1,1 slowed to a crawl after ssd upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gadgetmanben

gadgetmanben is on a distinguished road

I have a mac pro 1,1 which I recently upgraded with a 128gb crucial V4 ssd too along with 2GB more ram bringing me to a total of 4GB. I cloned my startup disk to the ssd, and for about 3 weeks it ran the fastest I've ever seen it with startup times around the 10-15 second range. after that point, it slowed to a crawl. it now takes over 2 minutes to startup, graphics are choppy, and apps take forever to launch. even changing tabs on chrome causes the graphics to lag, and sometimes the pinwheel to appear. I have done a virus scan using Avast! which turned up nothing. Any ideas what may be causing this?
QUOTE Thanks
dawson1112

dawson1112 has a spectacular aura about

Lets start by seeing if there are alot of startup items loading when you boot the computer.
system preferences / user accounts/ click your user account then select log in items.

You will be able to see a list of items that load when you boot osx. You can disable any of them by checking the items and then clicking the - to remove them. You may want to repair permissions after this.

I don't own a mac,,, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

1. Get of of Avast. There are no Mac OS X viruses.

2. Don't know about Crucial, however OWC technicians are quite adamant an SSD should not be cloned from a platter drive. Slows the SSD.

3. Recommended method is format the SSD, do a clean install and then Migration Assistant to transfer everything over.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« imac hard drive noise | my mac »