thestaton
    divx / xvid on intel iMacs?
    I got my beautiful new iMac in today and after a 6 hour wireless wrestling match with a crappy verizon westell dsl modem, I've finally sit down to enjoy this new toy. The first thing I have noticed my videos I had that where encoded with xvid or divx are not playing.

Does anyone know if divx or xvid is supported yet?

Specs:
    iBook
    are you in quicktime? if you are you have to download a codec for divx and xvid to play check http://www.divxmovies.com/codec/
    i bet there are other sites

BerbBrown
    So what do you think of your iMac. I received my iMac today and what a thing of beauty.

Do you think there will be many problems with the software availability?

I use Macromedia Studio and I am just about to purchase version 8. The current MX 2004 which is OS/X Power PC binary runs on the intel version with no problems so far. I guess it is using Rosetta.

thestaton
    I'm in love with my new iMac! Its fully pimped out 20", 2gigs of ram, and I opted for the 256 video card and its just flat out flies!

This morning I woke up and did a clean format - which I highly recommend. I saved over 4 gigs by eliminating the language packs, support for printers I dont use, garage band + the jingles, and all the betaware that came presintalled.

This afternoon I have a date with iMovie - and I cant wait to see how well it performs I have no doubt its going ot scream. Working with video on my iBook which is only 6 months old was so painful with the small screen, and its overall slowness.

As of right now Safari is instant when it comes to loading the app or viewing a webpage. You dont wait on anything and I love it!

Iphoto is a thing of beauty in its self - I love the full screen editing, and on this 20" just makes things even better.

I had a chance last night to play around with FrontRow while watching the dvd that came with these liberator pads I bought and that was really nice. I like the volume adjustment - and the range is great with the remote.

I had no idea that when purchasing a new mac that ComicLife came preinstalled with the full version this has me so thrilled! My 30 day trial had just expired on my iBook and I was getting ready to purchase it until I found out I have the full version!

Still waiting to take iWeb for a spin and see what kind of nice things I can come up with there.

As of right now this is my favorite purchase I belive I have ever made - bar my 2003 EVO VIII which was just a beast but that's a whole other world.

I plan on doing a full review very soon - after I've had a week to play around and put it through the paces.

The only con I have found is the extremly short cable on the keyboard - I was lucky enough to have a usb cable extender or I would of been pissed!

Cheers for now - if anyone has any help on the divx / xvid front please share!

thestaton
    Well, I got divx to work - now is the task of getting WMV to work any takers?

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Well, there is THIS that allows WMVs to play in Quicktime, or THIS which in no longer supported by MS.

Go with the first THIS. I didn't click it, but I'm assuming it's Flip4Mac's WMV Quicktime plugin. Must better optiion than Windows Media Player, which is buggy and no longer supported anyway.
    DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
    www.wattsupproductions.com

thestaton
    flip4mac has not been converted to universal yet and the old one will not work with rosetta

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Now THAT sucks...

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    I'm not quite sure I understand why that would be true. Flip4Mac is just a codec and I didn't think codecs were processor specific since they themselves are not applications. It's called by Quicktime which is Universal.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by schweb
    I'm not quite sure I understand why that would be true. Flip4Mac is just a codec and I didn't think codecs were processor specific since they themselves are not applications. It's called by Quicktime which is Universal.
    However, I know that Rosetta does not support PPC apps that rely on a Prefrence Pane, and Flip4Mac does.
    DJ Lee

Watts Up Productions
    www.wattsupproductions.com

Thread Information