New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Installing more ram in a mid2007 IMac


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
anders57

 
Member Since: Jan 06, 2013
Posts: 5
anders57 is on a distinguished road

anders57 is offline
Hi,
first of all, I like to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Anders, coming from Norway, - and I'm new to this forum.

"Trouble" is I have a mid 2007 IMac. I desperately need to put more internal memory in it (only 1 GB now).
I see that MacTracker says it's possible to put 6 GB in it, but Apple only says 4.


Could someone confirm that this will be the right ones for me?_

Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 2GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 256Mx64, 200pin
+
Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 4GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 512Mx64, 200pin

or should I settle for 2GBX2???

I've heard somewhere that memory should be mounted as pairs. Is that right?
If so, should I go for the 2GBX2?

I urgently need some advice on these issue. Any help would be highly apprecaoted.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

 
CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 24, 2008
Posts: 6,006
CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

CrimsonRequiem is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders57 View Post
Hi,
first of all, I like to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Anders, coming from Norway, - and I'm new to this forum.

"Trouble" is I have a mid 2007 IMac. I desperately need to put more internal memory in it (only 1 GB now).
I see that MacTracker says it's possible to put 6 GB in it, but Apple only says 4.


Could someone confirm that this will be the right ones for me?_

Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 2GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 256Mx64, 200pin
+
Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 4GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 512Mx64, 200pin

or should I settle for 2GBX2???

I've heard somewhere that memory should be mounted as pairs. Is that right?
If so, should I go for the 2GBX2?

I urgently need some advice on these issue. Any help would be highly apprecaoted.
Linky.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
anders57

 
Member Since: Jan 06, 2013
Posts: 5
anders57 is on a distinguished road

anders57 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I am afraid that would be a little to expensive for me due to the postage to Norway...

But from what I see on the site there should be no problem putting a 4GB and a 2GB together...(?) Is this right?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,349
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders57 View Post
I see that MacTracker says it's possible to put 6 GB in it, but Apple only says 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders57 View Post
But from what I see on the site there should be no problem putting a 4GB and a 2GB together...(?) Is this right?
This is correct.

Generally speaking you will get slightly better performance from matched pairs (2x2gig)...and purchasing 1x2gig + 1x4gig...is more expensive (cost/gigabyte).

For example in the U.S.:

- 2x2gig = $55 (cost/gig = $13.75)
- 1x2gig + 1x4gig = $120 (cost/gig = $20.00)

But if you need or want a total of 6gig of ram...then 1x2gig + 1x4gig is what you have to do!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
anders57

 
Member Since: Jan 06, 2013
Posts: 5
anders57 is on a distinguished road

anders57 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is correct.

Generally speaking you will get slightly better performance from matched pairs (2x2gig)...and purchasing 1x2gig + 1x4gig...is more expensive (cost/gigabyte).

For example in the U.S.:

- 2x2gig = $55 (cost/gig = $13.75)
- 1x2gig + 1x4gig = $120 (cost/gig = $20.00)

But if you need or want a total of 6gig of ram...then 1x2gig + 1x4gig is what you have to do!

- Nick
Thank you for answering!
I just wonder;
Does that mean that I'll get only slightly better performance if buying 2GB+4GB than 2X2 GB?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,349
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders57 View Post
Does that mean that I'll get only slightly better performance if buying 2GB+4GB than 2X2 GB?
If by performance you mean "speed"...this is usually not the way ram upgrades work.

Since you only have 1gig of ram currently...whether you upgrade to 4gig or 6gig you will see some speed increases (things relating to the OS will seem snappier). But after a certain point more ram does not equal more speed or "snappiness". Speed is related to the cpu & graphics hardware...which are not upgradable on most Macintosh computers.

What more ram does help with is allowing you to open more applications simultaneously...or allowing individuals apps/programs access to more ram that they may need to run more efficiently.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
anders57

 
Member Since: Jan 06, 2013
Posts: 5
anders57 is on a distinguished road

anders57 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
If by performance you mean "speed"...this is usually not the way ram upgrades work.

Since you only have 1gig of ram currently...whether you upgrade to 4gig or 6gig you will see some speed increases (things relating to the OS will seem snappier). But after a certain point more ram does not equal more speed or "snappiness". Speed is related to the cpu & graphics hardware...which are not upgradable on most Macintosh computers.

What more ram does help with is allowing you to open more applications simultaneously...or allowing individuals apps/programs access to more ram that they may need to run more efficiently.

HTH,

- Nick
I am going to do some editing in IMovie. And I DO remember how "heavy" that was the last I did that with 1 GB only so this is definitely the main reason I want more ram...

My question will therefore be:
Will I experience when working in IMovie, that the program works "better", "faster", "smoother" even if I only upgrade to 4GB?

will there be any difference worth paying for, to install 6 rather than 4GB?

Crossing my fingers and hoping to hear from you
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

 
pigoo3's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 20, 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 26,349
pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

pigoo3 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders57 View Post
will there be any difference worth paying for, to install 6 rather than 4GB?
System requirements for iMovie 11 (if this is the version you will be using)...you will be fine with 4gig.

System requirements for Apple's iLife '11 | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

As I mentioned earlier...more ram (6 gig) will simply allow you to open more apps simultaneously without a performance decrease. But as I also mentioned...6gig will cost a good bit more than 4gig (of course this depends on your budget).

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
anders57

 
Member Since: Jan 06, 2013
Posts: 5
anders57 is on a distinguished road

anders57 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
System requirements for iMovie 11 (if this is the version you will be using)...you will be fine with 4gig.

System requirements for Apple's iLife '11 | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

As I mentioned earlier...more ram (6 gig) will simply allow you to open more apps simultaneously without a performance decrease. But as I also mentioned...6gig will cost a good bit more than 4gig (of course this depends on your budget).

- Nick
Thank you for all help! And you saved me some money as well
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Two iMacs One Room | Mac Mini with 2 monitors »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
iMac mysterious failure! (maybe RAM?) DeeJayo Apple Desktops 1 10-10-2011 05:30 PM
Upgrading RAM on 2.66 ghz imac zeldera Other Hardware and Peripherals 1 07-13-2010 05:03 PM
Upgrading ram on Snow Leopard iMac Intel Rigged Apple Desktops 1 06-24-2010 01:44 PM
Installing new RAM in new MacBook? tjbackstage Apple Notebooks 3 12-16-2008 10:04 PM
Installing RAM on an iMac laguano Switcher Hangout 15 12-01-2007 03:31 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?