New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Installing more ram in a mid2007 IMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anders57

anders57 is on a distinguished road

Hi,
first of all, I like to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Anders, coming from Norway, - and I'm new to this forum.

"Trouble" is I have a mid 2007 IMac. I desperately need to put more internal memory in it (only 1 GB now).
I see that MacTracker says it's possible to put 6 GB in it, but Apple only says 4.

Could someone confirm that this will be the right ones for me?_

Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 2GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 256Mx64, 200pin
+
Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 4GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 512Mx64, 200pin

or should I settle for 2GBX2???

I've heard somewhere that memory should be mounted as pairs. Is that right?
If so, should I go for the 2GBX2?

I urgently need some advice on these issue. Any help would be highly apprecaoted.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders57 View Post
Hi,
first of all, I like to introduce myself to the forum, my name is Anders, coming from Norway, - and I'm new to this forum.

"Trouble" is I have a mid 2007 IMac. I desperately need to put more internal memory in it (only 1 GB now).
I see that MacTracker says it's possible to put 6 GB in it, but Apple only says 4.

Could someone confirm that this will be the right ones for me?_

Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 2GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 256Mx64, 200pin
+
Crucial DDR2 SO-DIMM PC5300 4GB CL5
Non-ECC, 1.8V, 512Mx64, 200pin

or should I settle for 2GBX2???

I've heard somewhere that memory should be mounted as pairs. Is that right?
If so, should I go for the 2GBX2?

I urgently need some advice on these issue. Any help would be highly apprecaoted.
Linky.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
anders57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
I am afraid that would be a little to expensive for me due to the postage to Norway...

But from what I see on the site there should be no problem putting a 4GB and a 2GB together...(?) Is this right?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Quote:
But from what I see on the site there should be no problem putting a 4GB and a 2GB together...(?) Is this right?
This is correct.

Generally speaking you will get slightly better performance from matched pairs (2x2gig)...and purchasing 1x2gig + 1x4gig...is more expensive (cost/gigabyte).

For example in the U.S.:

- 2x2gig = $55 (cost/gig = $13.75)
- 1x2gig + 1x4gig = $120 (cost/gig = $20.00)

But if you need or want a total of 6gig of ram...then 1x2gig + 1x4gig is what you have to do!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
anders57

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is correct.

Generally speaking you will get slightly better performance from matched pairs (2x2gig)...and purchasing 1x2gig + 1x4gig...is more expensive (cost/gigabyte).

For example in the U.S.:

- 2x2gig = $55 (cost/gig = $13.75)
- 1x2gig + 1x4gig = $120 (cost/gig = $20.00)

But if you need or want a total of 6gig of ram...then 1x2gig + 1x4gig is what you have to do!

- Nick
Thank you for answering!
I just wonder;
Does that mean that I'll get only slightly better performance if buying 2GB+4GB than 2X2 GB?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Does that mean that I'll get only slightly better performance if buying 2GB+4GB than 2X2 GB?
If by performance you mean "speed"...this is usually not the way ram upgrades work.

Since you only have 1gig of ram currently...whether you upgrade to 4gig or 6gig you will see some speed increases (things relating to the OS will seem snappier). But after a certain point more ram does not equal more speed or "snappiness". Speed is related to the cpu & graphics hardware...which are not upgradable on most Macintosh computers.

What more ram does help with is allowing you to open more applications simultaneously...or allowing individuals apps/programs access to more ram that they may need to run more efficiently.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
anders57

Quote:
If by performance you mean "speed"...this is usually not the way ram upgrades work.

Since you only have 1gig of ram currently...whether you upgrade to 4gig or 6gig you will see some speed increases (things relating to the OS will seem snappier). But after a certain point more ram does not equal more speed or "snappiness". Speed is related to the cpu & graphics hardware...which are not upgradable on most Macintosh computers.

What more ram does help with is allowing you to open more applications simultaneously...or allowing individuals apps/programs access to more ram that they may need to run more efficiently.

HTH,

- Nick
I am going to do some editing in IMovie. And I DO remember how "heavy" that was the last I did that with 1 GB only so this is definitely the main reason I want more ram...

My question will therefore be:
Will I experience when working in IMovie, that the program works "better", "faster", "smoother" even if I only upgrade to 4GB?

will there be any difference worth paying for, to install 6 rather than 4GB?

Crossing my fingers and hoping to hear from you
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
will there be any difference worth paying for, to install 6 rather than 4GB?
System requirements for iMovie 11 (if this is the version you will be using)...you will be fine with 4gig.

System requirements for Apple's iLife '11 | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

As I mentioned earlier...more ram (6 gig) will simply allow you to open more apps simultaneously without a performance decrease. But as I also mentioned...6gig will cost a good bit more than 4gig (of course this depends on your budget).

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
anders57

Quote:
System requirements for iMovie 11 (if this is the version you will be using)...you will be fine with 4gig.

System requirements for Apple's iLife '11 | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

As I mentioned earlier...more ram (6 gig) will simply allow you to open more apps simultaneously without a performance decrease. But as I also mentioned...6gig will cost a good bit more than 4gig (of course this depends on your budget).

- Nick
Thank you for all help! And you saved me some money as well
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Two iMacs One Room | Mac Mini with 2 monitors »