New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Best back-up for Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GLXMAN

GLXMAN is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,
Gradually getting all the segments of the apple, got the iPhone, now, iPad and, hopefully an iMac mid year unless I drop over this "fiscal cliff" also

Still running a MS laptop which is requiring "palliative care" at the moment,
I'm running 2 WD drives and alternate back-up, one of which, failed to do a back-up, will try again today

I've heard of "time machine" which I'm assuming only backs up to one drive? And Raid, which will mirror back-up on multiple drives?

My main data storage are images and, with editing, can be quite large files

I'm thinking Raid but do not know anything about it?

Which is the most "secure" way to go?

Regards,
Gary

Taught myself every thing I know and I still know nothing!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The latest version of Time Machine can backup to more than one drive. And since it comes pre-installed on a new Mac, that's what I would use. You can at your choice also use cloning software to do backups, but those are not free.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Also a good place to start reading.
Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

EDIT: I am sort of suspenders and belt when it comes to back up. Don't feel comfortable with TM as my only backup. I have multiple cloned drives as well as some portable externals I keep off site.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
The latest version of Time Machine can backup to more than one drive. And since it comes pre-installed on a new Mac, that's what I would use. You can at your choice also use cloning software to do backups, but those are not free.
That is reassuring, and a great start,
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavingMac View Post
Also a good place to start reading.
Official Backup FAQ or Start Backing Up Now!

EDIT: I am sort of suspenders and belt when it comes to back up. Don't feel comfortable with TM as my only backup. I have multiple cloned drives as well as some portable externals I keep off site.
Appreciate the link,
Reading your link, TM appears to have its own problems at times and the gist of the info appears to indicate another back-up option as well as some have had trouble recovering files from TM

Are "cloned drives" the same as "Raid"?
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Not exactly unless I am misunderstanding RAID. A "clone" is an exact copy of a drive. If the clone is "bootable" the system files are also copied and you could beet from the backup if necessary,

The closest Windows thing I can think of is the disk imaging feature in programs such as Acronis True Image.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

A RAID is an array of 2 or more HDs setup to work together. The different RAID levels tell how they are configured.

RAID 1 is a common set up where you have drives mirroring each other, so in my 2 drive RAID 1 NAS if one HD fails I swap it out without losing any data.

But honestly it's almost as easy (and cheaper) to use two external HDs for backup and switch them out periodically.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Tks for the heads-up Guys,
"food for thought"
Dont say I fully grasp the technology but starting to get a handle on some obvious choices,

I guess time machine will "back-up" to an external drive?
I'm getting the impression, that if I have 2 extenal drives available and just swap them with TM, all good!?

It appears that the TM back-up will not be a "bootable disc"? But cloned discs using RAID would be ?
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLXMAN View Post
Tks for the heads-up Guys,
"food for thought"
Dont say I fully grasp the technology but starting to get a handle on some obvious choices,

I guess time machine will "back-up" to an external drive?
I'm getting the impression, that if I have 2 extenal drives available and just swap them with TM, all good!?

It appears that the TM back-up will not be a "bootable disc"? But cloned discs using RAID would be ?
Regards,
Gary
Swapping the disks for TM is easy, but not automatic. You will have to select the alternate drive every time you swap. Not a big deal . . . it's what I do, just something to know.

And, yes, if you want bootable you need to clone, TM won't cut it which is why we generally recommend doing both. And, if you clone, I wouldn't RAID (not even sure you can clone to a RAID drive). Have to ask somebody else that question.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

The only way I can think of to create a "bootable" Time Machine backup would be to install a minimal copy of the OS onto the external drive that contains the Time Machine backup. Then let TM use the drive for backup. I have not tried it that way but it should work.

QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Tks Guys,
Starting to look like best option for an inexperienced mac guy like me would be start with TM and swap out with 2 drives
Getting the picture that TM does not "back-up" the OS?
In the I guess, rare occasion one would have to re-boot a "new" Mac,
How would you do it?
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

It will back up the OS files but isn't directly bootable. There are several tools for this but the most widely used by forum members are probably Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Both programs make the process of "cloning" pretty straightforward.

What I have been doing for some time now is letting Time Machine back up my data and periodically "cloning" the system files. This way, i can restore system files, data, or both depending upon what has been ruined. This allowed me to continue working the last time time I hard drive fail. I booted from the clone and continued working until Apple could send a replacement drive. When it arrived I reversed the cloning procedure to put everything on the new drive.

QUOTE Thanks
GLXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
It will back up the OS files but isn't directly bootable. There are several tools for this but the most widely used by forum members are probably Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper. Both programs make the process of "cloning" pretty straightforward.

What I have been doing for some time now is letting Time Machine back up my data and periodically "cloning" the system files. This way, i can restore system files, data, or both depending upon what has been ruined. This allowed me to continue working the last time time I hard drive fail. I booted from the clone and continued working until Apple could send a replacement drive. When it arrived I reversed the cloning procedure to put everything on the new drive.
Much appreciated,
Great advice,
That is a direction I should be able to handle,
Regards,
Gary

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Which graphic card to repair my 24 inch Imac of 2008 ? | mini and imac »