New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Something's Using All My RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Syze

Syze is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 500GB HD, 8GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 4S Black, 32GB iPod Touch

I don't know what it is. I'm running Snow Leopard on a 2009 iMac with 8GB of RAM. I use the Free Memory app which tells me how much RAM I have free on my menu. After a few hours of use basically all RAM is used. I left my Mac on today when I went out for a few hours, came back and only 17MB of RAM was free. I only had a couple of Apps like Safari and uTorrent running, both of which in the activity monitor were only taking up between 100MB-200MB each. There was nothing else in the activity monitor that indicated anything using a lot of RAM, so what could it be? Using Free Memory I was able to free over 4GB, but what is using it in the first place? Is there anyway I can find out?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

In Activity Montior, click on the Memory tab on the bottom and tell us what you see what Free, Wired, Active, Inactive and Used memory..

The Free memory is not really a realistic representation of free memory, it's the wired and active that better tell you what's going on..inactive is like free and can be used by any application..

Having the free pool go down to 0 in one way is the right thing to happen..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Syze

At the minute I'm sitting with 59MB free according to Free Memory. According to Activity Monitor:

Free: 54.9 MB

Wired: 773.4 MB

Active: 2.41 GB

Inactive: 4.79 GB

Used: 7.96 GB

Is this normal? Why would so much be inactive?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syze View Post
Why would so much be inactive?
"Inactive" ram is not a problem:

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You're perfectly fine..apart from reading the link that Nick pointed to..Wired and Active memory is what is currently in use, and inactive is memory that was in use but is no longer in use and can be used by other applications. So you should really look at Inactive and Free together to get an idea of how much memory you will have available for applications..

In your case, that's just over 4.8GB of the 8GB total..and that's over 50% and that's fine..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Syze

Thanks very much for the replies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MAC PRO Gurus: Need to Boot Camp, Do I buy 32 bit or 64 bit | Powermac G4 Motherboard »