New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac won't turn on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

notoriousEIC

notoriousEIC is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. Hope someone can help with this problem. I've got a 10 year old eMac that won't turn on after having been set aside for a few months.

I moved the computer to make room for some new gear a few months back. Some time later I wanted to get something off the computer so I hooked it back up and hit the power button, but the computer refused to start up. When I hit the button it makes the typical start up sound and I can hear the fan kick in, but after a few moments everything just goes dead again. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
freccia

freccia is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Quicksilver 733Mhz 256mb ram, 40gb hdd, also G4 Imac 17inch flat panel 800Mhz, 1gb ram, 80gb hdd

I do not know much about emac, but many faults I can hear about on macs seems to be always pointing to the PRAM battery, and since you have left it there for a while, it could be that the battery has discharged.
If you know how to open it, maybe you can check the battery or just replace it.
Maybe someone more compitent on macs can help you a bit more about your issue. There are many people on this forum who are ready to help you believe me, just give them some time.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Good advice freccia. This is how you replace the battery:-

eMac: How to Replace the Backup Battery

And this is the type of battery you need:-

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-3-6V-BA...ht_1721wt_1165

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
notoriousEIC

notoriousEIC is on a distinguished road

Pulled battery out tonight. Will see if I can find a replacement tomorrow. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Read old hard drive | MAC PRO Gurus: Need to Boot Camp, Do I buy 32 bit or 64 bit »