New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Late 2007 27" iMac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brooksmf224

brooksmf224 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2007 27" iMac; iPad 2; iPhone 5; 2012 MacBook Pro; AppleTV 1 and 2

So a couple months ago my beloved iMac (my first) booted to a grey screen with a never-ending circle on the screen. It had been running slow and weird ever since upgrading to Lion (lesson learned).

The data was not a problem since I had all files backed up to my 2T NAS. I didn't do anything with it until this past weekend when I took on the task of attempting a rebuild.
I formatted and installed the original OS (Tiger). Once installed, there were updates. Two updates failed. I thought, "no problem", they'll get caught when I upgrade to Leopard. Leopard went in - no problem. Snow Leopard went in no-problem. But on re-boot after Snow Leopard, I was back at the grey screen with the never-ending circle. = (

I did disk-utility which said I had errors. I zero-wrote the drive, then disk-utility said all was well. I started again.

Tiger went in fine. Ran disk utility after Tiger install, no errors. I installed Leopard. This time Leopard install failed. Disk utility reported errors. Formatted drive and then disk utility reports all is well.
Finally, I just installed Tiger and did not do any updates to it.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but - is this indicative of a hard disk failure or something else? I'll replace the HD if that's all it is. Why does disk utility report that all is well, when it may not be?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Why didn't you just reformat and install Snow leopard

There is no need to start with tiger

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooksmf224 View Post
Sorry to be so long-winded, but - is this indicative of a hard disk failure or something else? I'll replace the HD if that's all it is. Why does disk utility report that all is well, when it may not be?
You have been describing one way in which a hard drive can fail. Disk Utility often reports
a failed or failing drive as good. It only performs basic tests, your drive failed as you wrote extensively to it, Disk Utility does not read and write to every sector, so will not identify every way in which a drive can fail.

Steve Bell
UK
QUOTE Thanks
brooksmf224

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
Why didn't you just reformat and install Snow leopard

There is no need to start with tiger
Sorry, I think I did start with just Snow Leopard, but the process halted at some point saying there was a problem and I believe I had a "restart" button. After that, disk utility reported an error - then I ran the zero-write, then disk utility reports "all OK". That's when I started with Tiger-->Leopard-->Snow Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Trash that drive and get a new one. You'll be fooling with it for hours on end only to finally have it completely crash and not be recognized. Save yourself aggravation and get a new drive and then install Snow Leopard. Afterward, restore your data from the backup.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

^^^^ Agreed with chscag. Once a drive starts these type of problems, you end up just spending countless wasted hours. Can't tell you how many times I've gone through that type of thing. No more... Drives are too cheap.

(And the upgrade to Lion would not be the cause - only coincidental.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
brooksmf224

Update: Installed new HDD. Snow Leopard went in - no problem - did the Lion upgrade, Parallels VM with Office 10 Ultimate, Aperture, etc., etc. Works like a dream! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini with 2 monitors | replacing DVD drive »