New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Cannot use Time Machine to backup to external drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

starkraving

starkraving is on a distinguished road

Hi, hope someone can help:

I have an early 2008 iMac with a 500GB hard drive (currently 433GB used)

I have a Verbatim 500GB external drive which I have just erased (format: MAC OS Extended (Journaled), (says 499.32GB is free)

I went into settings, Time Machine, and selected the external drive to use for backups, however Time Machine reports the following error, and I don't understand why 516.38GB is required, when my hard drive is only 500GB.

"Time Machine could not complete the backup to external hard drive

This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 516.38 GB but only 499.32 GB are available.

Time Machine needs work space on the backup disk, in addition to the space required to store backups. Open Time Machine preferences to select a larger backup disk or make the backup smaller by excluding files."
QUOTE Thanks
starkraving

starkraving is on a distinguished road

Resolved by removing some files from the backup schedule - still dont understand why Time Machine needs so much space though!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« DVD Won't Write | Would like some advice on Mac Pro purchase »