Specs:
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
    Power Mac g5 power supply fan size??
    I have a powermac G5 dual 2ghz that we have successfully converted to atx. I am not liking how loud the machine runs constantly so I am looking at buying different possibly smaller power supply fans. I cannot find the size anywhere.

What is the size of these?

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    First ip try SMCFanControl and see if that helps toning the fan down a little.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    First ip try SMCFanControl and see if that helps toning the fan down a little.
    It wont quiet it down because now that they are hooked up to the atx power supply they are single speed direct wired. because the atx supply only supports a two pin fan

-Eddie

all of the other fans that run off of the logic board work fine and the speed changes regularly it just the two little power supply fans that dont go with the logic board.

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Well maybe check out PC stores for a smaller fan.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Sierra
    You may be able to buy super quiet ATX power supply fans at suppliers that sell them for gaming rigs. Most have Teflon bearings and are fairly expensive. You'll have to do some searching on line though. At one time, Best Buy sold them but that was long ago. Also, you may have to buy the entire ATX power supply to get one.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Familyguy9877 View Post
    I have a powermac G5 dual 2ghz that we have successfully converted to atx.
    Anyway we can get a photo of this? Considering the drastically different shapes of the ATX and Powermac G5's power supply (the PM G5's power supply is flat and is in the bottom of the computer)...I'm wondering how the ATX power supply fits in the case.

Thanks,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Anyway we can get a photo of this? Considering the drastically different shapes of the ATX and Powermac G5's power supply (the PM G5's power supply is flat and is in the bottom of the computer)...I'm wondering how the ATX power supply fits in the case.

Thanks,

- Nick
    I actually fit the ATX board into the original power supply case (with lots of room to spare). unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures but it ended up working really well, I have done this with a dual 1.42GHz DP MDD before to (that's what gave me the confidence to tackle this project). the g5 is essentially identical looking and functioning as with the original PS. the only odd thing is that apparently the front power light runs off of 25v (like the ADC) and wont light up do to the lack of a 25v rail on the atx supply. and of course that its a bit louder now because of the power supply fans running so fast. I was actually thinking of just wiring the fans to 5v. I think it would cool well enough and I have tested that the fan will start up with 5v.

-Eddie

Specs:
    This is NOT mine. but this person did the same thing as I did.

The only difference is I actually had to attach all of the original G5 board connectors to the supply.

this person did it for a hackintosh so they left the atx connections
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Familyguy9877 View Post
    I actually fit the ATX board into the original power supply case (with lots of room to spare). unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures but it ended up working really well, I have done this with a dual 1.42GHz DP MDD before to (that's what gave me the confidence to tackle this project). the g5 is essentially identical looking and functioning as with the original PS. the only odd thing is that apparently the front power light runs off of 25v (like the ADC) and wont light up do to the lack of a 25v rail on the atx supply. and of course that its a bit louder now because of the power supply fans running so fast. I was actually thinking of just wiring the fans to 5v. I think it would cool well enough and I have tested that the fan will start up with 5v.

-Eddie
    Very interesting. As you probably know much better than me...the ATX power supplies are usually very "traditionally boxy"...and the Powermac G5's power supply is long, and relatively flat & narrow. But I guess if the "guts" of the ATX power supply are extracted...maybe they are a lot less bulky.

My assumption (incorrectly) was that the ATX power supply was somehow "stuffed" into the upper section of the Powermac G5...and I just couldn't picture how it was going to fit. So great idea squeezing the ATX power supplies "guts" into the original Powermac's power supply case!

- Nick

p.s. Thanks for the photo...it definitely helps me see how it would work!
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information