New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

erasing data on emac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mimosatortie

mimosatortie is on a distinguished road

Hey there!

I'm giving away my old emac with 10.3.9, i GHz Power PCGH, 640RAM SDRAM - and I'd like to get rid of the data. I've tried Disk Utility but I don't have the security options. Worse, I don't have the original startup disks. Is there any way that I can get wipe out my data before I give this away?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me
QUOTE Thanks
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

If you don't have the original install discs, or a compatible retail install disc, there are other options. You could attach it to another Mac via target firewire mode and erase it, but then the new user will also have problems without the install disks.

You could simply create another admin user, the log into it and delete your user. It's not so secure, as there's always the possibility the new user could use the likes of Data Rescue to recover erased data.

I can't remember if 10.3.9 had the secure erase option. If it did, simply use this to delete everything confidential before creating the new user and deleting yours.

Steve Bell
Aylesbury, UK
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

After you delete the user you can always create a disc image in disk utility that takes up most of the free space, then delete that. Its not totally secure but will at least overwrite the free space on the mac with one big file

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac won't boot up | Which RAM? »