New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Freezing up like whoa

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lamike82

Hey everybody...so basically I've had my G5 dual 2.0 since they came out, never had any issues with freezing. All of a sudden, it's been freezing up on me like crazy. It started off every hour or so, then ever minute or so, and now it barely makes it past startup, if at all, before it locks up. I haven't added any new hardware lately. Software wise, the only thing I've put on any time recently was Final Cut Studio, but it was running for about a month perfectly fine before this business started, so I don't really feel its related. ANYONE have any ideas at all? It's so frustrating. Not sure if this helps anyone, but after it freezes, the fans start speeding up until they're going real loud and fast, and continue until I force a shutdown. Any thoughts or input would be awesome. Thanks everyone!
mike
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

Your not using a USB modem connection are you ?

Unplug all external connections and see if that helps. If it doesn't then I'd backup all your files and do a clean install. I've never had a mac freeze since OSX.

If the problem persists after the clean install then it could be a hardware problem. Run the hardware test CD that came with the machine.
QUOTE Thanks
johnsonb07

Hold down C as the computer starts up and it will do a hardware check. Hope that helps narrow down what the problem could be.
QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

insert the start up cd and hold down C as you start up. go to disk utility (under file in the installer) and repair disk and permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

From what you say it sounds like a definate heat issue with the processor, maybe the CPU fan has gone. Is there anyway you can check your fans?

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
lamike82

Okay so i took it to the genius bar at the apple store, and they said it's def. a hardware issue, although everything checks out fine when I do the hardware check...they said it's probably one of the G5 processors, or the logic board, each costing about 600 to investigate and repair....and since there's no way to tell which of the 3 it is, I'd have to do all. This sucks! Has anyone else had something similar to this, or know a better way to narrow down or fix the problem? Also, what in sam **** would have randomly caused this???
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Bobbins

Mr Bobbins has a spectacular aura about

I've never heard of such a problem, sounds like one of those things thats just bad luck. Could it have been a power surge ? I guess your no longer covered by Apple care ? Have a look at Apple trouble shooting section on their website. Thier should be some test LED's in the machine that maybe of help (at least their is on the iMac G5).

You must be gutted, my deepest sympathies.
QUOTE Thanks
Kyomii

Kyomii will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4

Try cleaning the CPU fan if you can, infact all the fans including your graphics card fan - I am almost sure this is an overheating issue. is there any way you can check voltages at all? Also, check the socket it is plugged into - do you use a good surge protector?

Fondest regards, Kyomii

My Snapshots
QUOTE Thanks
akira

i live in indonesia and have exactly the same problem and the same machine. when i brought to the shop it started up just fine there...
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

I've got a dual 2.5 and mine locks up all the time. The log shows the second CPU core as being the culprit...

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport Antenna | Questions, please! »