New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Restoring from bootable clone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Kevin_B

Kevin_B is on a distinguished road

As part of the precautions I am advised to take before I turn in my iMac for the 1Tb HD replacement recall, I will be making a bootable clone on a separate external hard drive, using either Super Duper or Carbon Copy Clone (haven't decided yet! Any thoughts?). I presume the iMac will be returned to me with the new HD empty, i-e nothing on it. My question is this.
a. How do I restore form the bootable clone?
b. Will it restore EVERYTHING, and put it back as it was before.
c. Once I have finished restoring from the bootable HD, how do I make my subsequent
boot be from the new internal HD, as usual?

Also what is the best way to "clean" the old drive before I taker it in?

Thanks for your help.

Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I prefer SuperDuper!. However, if you have 10.7 or 10.8 would recommend CCC as it also creates the recovery partition.

You would boot to the clone and clone it back to the internal drive.
Yes, that's why it's called a "clone".
Shut down, disconnect the external and reboot the machine.

??What version of OS X do you have? If 10.7 or 10.8, I'd just boot to the recovery partition and format the drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

If you have a Bootable USB of the OS SuperDuper! does a admiral job. I have the registered version and couldn't be happier.

EDIT ~ And it was Harry below that put me onto SD and with his many vast years of Mac's i flowed his great advice and went that way as well. Have never looked back.
I no now that CCC has become a pay App as well, but not sure what the extra features out. CCC and SD both have downloadable non $ versions but for piece of mind and a few bucks it well worth it in the end.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Likewise but be aware SD does not clone the Recovery Partition. That is why one needs the Lion/Mountain Lion installed on a USB thumb drive. If you don't have that consider CCC.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

And always boot to the clone after you have made it to verify it is working, all your stuff is there and it is functioning properly.

QUOTE Thanks
Kevin_B

Kevin_B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
And always boot to the clone after you have made it to verify it is working, all your stuff is there and it is functioning properly.
Ok folks, thanks for all your help! I just did a clone to an External 1Tb Hard Drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. To test it, I then went into System Preferences / Startup Disk, selected the External HD, and did a restart. Checked a number of applications and documents; everything was as I had left it. So now I am ready to take my imac in for its HD replacement. However, I just noticed something. When I do a Get Info on the Mackintosh HD (internal) I get Capacity - 999.86, Available - 854.81. So I must have used up 145.05 gb. When I do the same on the External HD with the cloned info, I get Capacity - 999.86, Available - 876.76, with a resultant usage of 123.10 gb..If it is a CLONE, should the numbers not be EXACTLY the same? Why am I missing the 21.95 gb? Anything important?
Kevin
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Have you ever installed BootCamp on a separate partition? Go into Disk Utility and check out the drive contents. When you get the iMac back it may well have Mountain Lion OS X.8.2 installed. Hook up the external and when it appears on the desktop, go into Utilities and use Migration Assistant to transfer everything over. Be aware large applications like some Adobe and Microsoft Office may have to be re-activated.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

It will not have cloned the sleep image file - mine is typically > 4GB, nor does it clone virtual memory that is in use which could be another few GBs.

I have not delved into exactly what is not copied, but I've been using SD! for over 6 years (would guess CCC does similar) and appears to me that the only things it does not copy are the items related to your current boot session that are deleted when you shut down anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
It will not have cloned the sleep image file - mine is typically > 4GB, nor does it clone virtual memory that is in use which could be another few GBs.

I have not delved into exactly what is not copied, but I've been using SD! for over 6 years (would guess CCC does similar) and appears to me that the only things it does not copy are the items related to your current boot session that are deleted when you shut down anyway.
Right as usual sir. CCC behaves the same way. This FAQ response gives a few reasons for the file sizes not matching.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Imac 27 0ver heating | Is this a good deal for an iMac? »