New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

models w. USB 3.0 = death of Thunderbolt?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

I wonder, will the new models of the iMac with USB 3.0 mean the death of Thunderbolt (for 'normal' users)?

I have been waiting for affordable external Thunderbolt drive enclosures for quite some time now, and it seems that none will be on the market soon. There are the GoFlex and the LaCie, but they are too expensive.

With USB 3.0 enclosures in all possible flavours abundant (1-4 bays, multiple raid configs) I would be happy with a TB->USB 3.0 adapter. But with the new iMacs and MacBooks already equipped with USB 3.0, that may be a wish that will never come true.

I have to admit that I feel very much let down by Apple; how hard would it be to put such an adapter on the market? There are already a TB-Ethernet and a TB-Firewire adapters, why not TB-USB 3.0?

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I feel the same way. Unfortunately, Ivy Bridge made USB 3.0 native and that's when Apple finally adopted it - before then, Apple had (seemingly) no interest.

There are a couple of Thunderbolt docks due on the market that add USB 3.0, but I agree, a USB 3.0 specific adapter under $100 would be ideal. Not sure why no one has picked up on this - perhaps the profit margins aren't good enough at that price point?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I think Apple has once again gone down the road of proprietary interfaces only to be faced with the reality of the real world. The old ADB and SCSI interfaces gave way to USB and Firewire. While Firewire 400 was good, USB 2.0 was more standard and good enough for most of the Mac using world. FW 800 was faster but never really caught on even in the Mac community and Apple never even touched eSata as an option. Now with USB 3 device prices dropping almost weekly and the wider world adopting the backward compatible technology, PC converts and Mac regulars still want backward compatibility with their older devices. Sure Thunderbolt is fast but it's virtually unheard of outside the Mac community and is unlikely to ever really become a standard within the Mac community itself (except among pros and die-hards) based on the current prices for devices.

I personally am staking my device future on USB 3 since it is relatively cheap and likely to only become cheaper. Apple can push TB on me, but I'm not buying it.

QUOTE Thanks
IWT

Location: Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
IWT is a jewel in the roughIWT is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2010 27" iMac 16GB RAM, SSD & 1TB IHD (Lion) + 2013 27" iMac Fusion SSD & 3TB IHD, 32GB (Mavericks)

I clearly don't have anything like the experience of cwa107 or baggss; but it seems to me that Thunderbolt (TB) and USB 3.0 have completely different purposes.

TB is for "High-End" users who require almost real-time read-write copying & retrieval usually associated with complex video & sound editing and the like.

USB 3.0 is for the rest of us. Obviously faster than USB 2.0 (but also backward compatible) and, by most accounts, probably faster than FW 800. USB 3.0 will become the standard.

You can purchase a TB-to-FW 800 adapter which means, in my case anyway, that all my current EHDs which only have USB 2.0 and/or FW 800 can still be used via TB. All my future purchases of an EHD will be USB 3.0 capable.

Arguably, the best of both worlds.

Ian
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Ah but you cannot chain up monitors with USB 3

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Speed sells and TB is king in that area with the ability to daisy chain so giving us both USB3 and TB is a plus.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Really, Thunderbolt and USB are not comparable. It's not like comparing Firewire and USB, which is what everyone seems to gravitate toward.

Thunderbolt is an external connection to the PCIe bus. So, just as you can add anything, up to and including a graphics card through PCIe, you can do the same with Thunderbolt. The possibilities are truly endless.... it removes the last major practical advantage of a "tower" PC, in that you can now daisy chain externally what you used to have to install internally via a PCI slot.

USB 3.0 is a peripheral interconnect. It's more like USB 2.0 on steroids. From what I've seen, it is still plagued by some of the traffic contention issues of USB 2.0, so you won't likely see the kinds of transfer speeds you're expecting (much like you wouldn't ever see USB 2.0 transfer at anywhere near the 480Mb/s it's rated for).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Thunderbolt is an external connection to the PCIe bus. So, just as you can add anything, up to and including a graphics card through PCIe, you can do the same with Thunderbolt. The possibilities are truly endless.... it removes the last major practical advantage of a "tower" PC, in that you can now daisy chain externally what you used to have to install internally via a PCI slot.
That's perhaps the part that I was missing. The biggest hurdle there though is going to be devices or converters (the TB to FW 800 one is an example) to make it useful as well as a wider acceptance of it for those capabilities. If multiple PC makers adopt it, it could become mainstream. As long as just Apple does it it's still likely to have fewer practical uses for the everyday Mac user and what uses there are will be pricier. Time will tell and it seems like a really really great thing, but Apples been known for adding some really great things to Macs in the past and they eventually just go away and leave those who did adopt out in the cold.

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Thunderbolt gains support from Acer, Asus, Lenovo, but can it topple USB 3.0? | Digital Trends
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Good read. Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
osxx

You are welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
Apple Extreme

Apple Extreme is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: (Mid-2011) 27" iMac 2.7 GHz i5 20GB RAM, (Mid-2012) 13" MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz i5 4GB RAM

My iMac has USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt ports. Trying to back up my music files via USB 2.0 is painfully slow (~420 Gb took 4 hours or more).

I bought a Seagate Backup Plus 1T external drive, a Seagate Thunderbolt adapter and a Thunderbolt cord. The cost was $250. That cost may seem a little high, but it's worth it to me. I can now create a separate backup of my music files in about an hour.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

As hard drives get bigger and iDevices stack up and then comes an emergency restore I see Thunderport being a welcomed future.
QUOTE Thanks
Thymen

Thymen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9

LaCie had just released 3- and 4 TB single-drive Thunderbolt + USB 3 units for reasonable prices (€299 and €399). That is a good start. But what I really would like is is an enclosure like the Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 Quad from OWC, but with TB instead of fw800, and USB 3 instead of USB 2.0. A 4-bay system in Raid 10 would be great!

Thymen
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

I wouldn't call those prices reasonable, especially if you are looking at multiple external derives. It is a good start though. TB is going to have to go a long way before it's going to be competitive with strait USB 3 though. I can buy a good USB 3 external enclosure to move my drives to for less than $50.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this a good deal for an iMac? | Installing graphics card in powermac g4 »