New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Power Issue (wont power up)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ccav23

ccav23 is on a distinguished road

I have a 24" iMac from early 2008. Of course today is the day it does it's weekly back-up, and yesterday I noticed that it was off (I usually leave the computer on with power save options). When I attempted to turn it on I heard the disk drive make a noise like it was kicking on but that was it. The screen remained black, no start up chime or screen flicker. I unplugged everything and tried again and it is still doing the same thing. Has anyone had any issues similar? I am just hoping it is not the hard drive. Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I hate to say it, but I think the hard drive is the least of your worries if it doesn't even show a picture on the screen.

Before you get too crazy, try doing a PRAM reset. Start with the machine turned off. Pull the power cord just to be sure you're doing this from a "cold" state. Plug it back in, turn it on and immediately press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until you hear the startup chime twice.

If no startup chime sounds, you may have a more significant problem (i.e. a bad logic board or power supply).

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ccav23

I tried with no luck. I set up an appointment with the Apple Store. I guess we will see what they say, but I have gotten a good 5 years out of this iMac. I am just concerned about the hard drive, had some stuff on there that i didnt get to back up. If a logic board costs the $1500 I've read about then i might as well replace the machine. Thanks cwa107 for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

In either case, the hard drive should be able to be removed by the Apple Store and its content transferred over to a replacement machine.

You may also try an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ccav23

Still no luck, the only thing that happens when the power button is pressed is the sound the disk drive makes when a disk is put into it.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccav23 View Post
Still no luck, the only thing that happens when the power button is pressed is the sound the disk drive makes when a disk is put into it.
I'm sorry to hear that - it certainly doesn't look good. Here's to hoping for a Christmas miracle

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And fingers crossed it is the hard drive and not the power supply.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
ccav23

No Christmas miracle here guys. Apple store confirmed that it was the logic board that died. Kind of excited about picking out a new computer though.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh well that is always the silver lining to any cloud. Advertise on eBay as not working parts only.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
laptoplover2

laptoplover2 is on a distinguished road

That could be anything. Hope that it's not something big though. I too am struggling with an iMac, an iMac G4 with no OS refuses to let me put Tiger on it.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Sounds like your Tiger discs are the problem laptoplover2. Silver/grey model specific discs will not work with any computer other than the precise model they came with. You need a black retail install DVD.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Would like some advice on Mac Pro purchase | 27 inch imac m\l to s\l downgrade »