New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac memory config

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

lrd

lrd is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

If I buy the new iMac with the minimum memory config (2x4gb) can I add 2x8gb sticks from a third party for a total of 24gb or do the stick types have to match? Then I can upgrade later if required by replacing the 2x4gb sticks.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Yes you can

OWC can guide you on what and how to upgrade the RAM

Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
If I buy the new iMac with the minimum memory config (2x4gb) can I add 2x8gb sticks from a third party for a total of 24gb or do the stick types have to match? Then I can upgrade later if required by replacing the 2x4gb sticks. Thanks
Which new iMac? Only the 27" new (late 2012) iMac is upgradeable for memory. The new (late 2012) 21.5" iMac is NOT user upgradeable for memory.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

As chscag says the 21.5" model is not user upgradeable. Suggest if you go 27" and want memory upgrade buy from OWC or Crucial.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

OWC has some good prices on iMac memory. I just bought an additional 8Gb for the 27inch iMac I just ordered.

QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Mac Specs: 2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX

27" and OWC or Crucial was my plan all along. Just curious if I could mix memory types. I know I'm going to want more memory as I plan to have windows running in VMFusion pretty much all the time...we use a couple of programs a lot that only has a windows version (or the Mac version is way behind). Idea was to see if 24gb would be enough before buying another 16gb (and having to throw away the original 8gb sticks)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Do as baggss suggest and pop over to OWC and suggest not mixing memory types.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I just bought 32GB RAM for my new 27" iMac yesterday. Waiting for it come in the post.

In case anyone is wondering. The 27" iMac has four slots. Two of which are occupied by 4GB of RAM for a total of 8GB. The other two are empty.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
lrd

Based on that diagra (and my original question) is can I put 8gb sticks in the two empty slots? I've gotten contradictory answers. 24gb is a straight upgrade...32gb requires throwing away 8gb.

Haven't bought the new iMac yet...was planning on using the Crucial tool to tell me exactly what I need. Worked great on my MBP?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrd View Post
Based on that diagra (and my original question) is can I put 8gb sticks in the two empty slots? I've gotten contradictory answers. 24gb is a straight upgrade...32gb requires throwing away 8gb.

Haven't bought the new iMac yet...was planning on using the Crucial tool to tell me exactly what I need. Worked great on my MBP?
You can put anything you want in the two empty slots. Just as long as it's the correct type of memory modules.

Which would be this :
PC3-12800 (1600) DDR3
204-pin
SO-DIM

Linky. I would pay attention to the foot notes at the bottom of the page.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

The general recommendation is that whatever you put in those 2 slots should be matched; For example, 2 x 4Gb or 2 x 8Gb. You can do 1 x 4Gb and 1 x 8Gb but that isn't recommended for best performance.

If you were to go to 32 Gb, you would't be "throwing away" that 8Gb. You could probably sell it on e-bay or a place like here and get some money back.

QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
The general recommendation is that whatever you put in those 2 slots should be matched; For example, 2 x 4Gb or 2 x 8Gb. You can do 1 x 4Gb and 1 x 8Gb but that isn't recommended for best performance.

If you were to go to 32 Gb, you would't be "throwing away" that 8Gb. You could probably sell it on e-bay or a place like here and get some money back.
OWC has a trade in program. Could also look into that.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
OWC has a trade in program. Could also look into that.
That's a pretty good deal then. At least get some value from the RAM you no longer using.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Format new SSD in Mac Mini | can mac mini handle 2 ultra res monitors »