Buying @ Best Buy vs. The Apple Store
    Is there any disadvantages to buying a Mac at Best Buy vs The Apple Store?

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Varying opinions on that one. You're going to get the same machine whether you purchase it at Best Buy or at an Apple store. The difference in my opinion is the quality and knowledge of the sales people and after purchase service. I prefer purchasing at my local Apple store which is conveniently located about 20 minutes from my home.

Also, if you have Apple gift cards they can not be used at Best Buy to purchase Apple products. You can only use them at an Apple store or the Apple on line store.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by bronx549 View Post
    Is there any disadvantages to buying a Mac at Best Buy vs The Apple Store?
    The only disadvantage I can think of buying from Best Buy vs. the Apple Store...is the sales employees at the Apple Store are probably MUCH more knowledeagble.

But if you have no questions...and you're ready to buy...I can't think of any advantage/disadvantage either way. No matter where the new Macintosh computer is purchased...the 12 month Applecare is still fully honored at any Apple Store.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Beat me by 3 minutes Charlie!

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Can't speak for all Best Buy stores, but the one near me has certified apple technicians (not necessarily sales people) at their Apple sales counter area.

that being said, I have bought neither of my Macs from a brick and mortar. I got mine online from apple. I did get my first iPad (1) at Best Buy (they had a $50 off promo) and my 2nd iPad (3) at the Apple Store. Personally, since the warranties are the same, it really doesnt matter if you know what you want walking in and have done the research beforehand.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

Specs:
    2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
    The only advantage to buying at the apple store is if you can qualify for the apples for education discount. It does not have to be a student- do you know anybody that works in any capacity for a school? I saved 50.00 off my iMac and 50.00 off my applecare - I just had to drag my hubby to the apple store- If I ordered online, I would have just had to borrow his ID badge #- not every school applies so you have to go to the site and put in the school name and see

Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    BB is good if you know exactly what you want, know exactly how much it will cost, know that they currently have it in stock and have zero questions for the worthless sales people. Those are the only conditions under which I will buy anything (not just Apple products) from BB. If you don't have those 4 things, go to an Apple store.

Specs:
    2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
    I had the same question until I realized Apple had a government discount that applied to retired military. Will save me about $300 over the same configuration at regular price.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Some of the pluses of buying at BB are reward zone points and higher buy back of older gear.
    Pluses of Apple Store are iTunes gift cards and refurbs.

Specs:
    13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
    i like to use best buy gift cards purchased from the local grocery store.. then i get fuel points towards free gas

Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by lrd View Post
    I had the same question until I realized Apple had a government discount that applied to retired military. Will save me about $300 over the same configuration at regular price.
    Wish this was the same in Australia.
    That should be a world wide thing IMO
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

Specs:
    Late 2013 27" iMac, iPad 3, iPhone 6s+, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Hi Brent:

Apple actually has a different on line web site here in the US for authorized purchasers; active duty, retired military, and government workers. However, the US military stores - Army, Air Force and Navy exchanges sell the same Apple products at those same discounted prices. Another advantage of buying from the military stores is no local or state sales tax is charged. It's too bad Apple in Australia does not do the same.

Thread Information