New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mac mini i5 or i7 for my needs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chris789

chris789 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at purchasing a Mac Mini and am trying to decide if the extra $200 is worth it for the i7 processor. I do plan on installing 16 gig ram in it. Below is what I plan on using it for:

*chrome/firefox
*ms outlook
*ms office
*short video editing (<15 min in length, the importing/exporting time isn't a factor just editing - I may do this once every couple of weeks
*parallel (windows 2008, 2 operating systems open) I hear this is more memory intensive then processor. - do this to learn windows 2008 maybe 3 times a week. It doesn't have to run full speed but I don't want it to freeze or watch the screen redraw itself.
*learning the mac operating system - main reason for the mac as jobs are requiring it.

I'm sure I'll use it for more but since I've never used a mac don't know what software I'll be using beyond what I use windows for.

So will a mac mini i5 work or should I go i7. I'd prefer to save the $200 and apply it towards an ipad.

Thanks,
Chris
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External speaker help? | hard drive and my itunes? »