Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Desktops (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/)
-   -   My wireless keyboard has gone grungy (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/291379-my-wireless-keyboard-has-gone-grungy.html)

Dannyg 12-15-2012 01:32 PM

My wireless keyboard has gone grungy
 
Hi all

My two year old wireless keyboard has started feeling very grungy. By which I mean the keys no longer feel as if they are traveling smoothly, almost as if they springs have lost their spring.

The keyboard has definitely not had any liquids spilled on it or suffered any other abuse. Nor are they actually sticking, they are just not pleasant to type on.

Is there anything I can do to restore the key board. I have tried blasting it with compressed air but this hasn't really helped. Would it be a bad idea to spray a little WD40 over it?

Or do Apple only design their keyboards to last two years?

chscag 12-15-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Would it be a bad idea to spray a little WD40 over it?
Doing that would guaranty having to purchase a new keyboard! I've been using my Apple wireless keyboard for some time now and it still works fine. Apple keyboards do not have the feel and click of some better keyboards but they do work OK. I have both the wired and wireless versions.

Dannyg 12-16-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chscag (Post 1478760)
Doing that would guaranty having to purchase a new keyboard! I've been using my Apple wireless keyboard for some time now and it still works fine. Apple keyboards do not have the feel and click of some better keyboards but they do work OK. I have both the wired and wireless versions.

OK, so I'll give the WD40 a miss. Is there anything else I can do to improve the way the keybaord works?

It has definitely deteriorated markedly since I first got it, and while it has been used regularly I haven't been writing War and Peace on it.

chscag 12-16-2012 08:06 PM

Quote:

It has definitely deteriorated markedly since I first got it, and while it has been used regularly I haven't been writing War and Peace on it.
LOL. I know what you mean. Other than buying a more expensive third party wireless keyboard, there's not much you can do if the keyboard has become spongy. I'm not exactly a lover of the Apple wireless keyboard but it's better than having an extra USB cable hanging around on my desk.

You might want to take a look at some third party wireless keyboards for the Mac to see if it's something you'd like. Logitech, MacAlly, and Matias make and sell some real nice wireless keyboards for the Mac. Unfortunately they're all more expensive than the Apple version.

harryb2448 12-16-2012 08:10 PM

When new a keyboard skin may have helped and as cheap as chips also.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.