New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac Screen Lines

Thread Closed

rogsmed

rogsmed is on a distinguished road

I have a 6 yr old iMac. Lately the screen has be developing vertical lines of various colors. It currently has eight of these lines in yellow, aqua, & pink at random spots across the screen. Is there a way to get rid of these lines?
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Thats a classic case of the graphics card going in the iMac, and you cant replace the graphics card as its soldered to the motherboard, and if you decided to get it done professionally then you would be paying in parts and labour the cost of a new machine.
Backup asap and save for a new machine

Cheers

EDIT : I would certainly give Apple a call though as there was a bit of a problem back then with failing Graphics cards. They might fix it for you, then again they might not, but its worth a try

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Still Back Up your data.. Even if Apple wants to fix it, chances are it will come back with a reformatted hard drive and OS reinstalled.

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Still Back Up your data.. Even if Apple wants to fix it, chances are it will come back with a reformatted hard drive and OS reinstalled.
What are you talking about? You honestly think Apple is going to repair a 6 year old iMac that has a defective GPU for free? And what's this about a reformatted hard drive and reinstalled OS? Quit spreading FUD.
techiesteve

techiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of lighttechiesteve is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz, MacBook 2.16 GHz, iPhone 5

The iMac that suffered most from coloured vertical lines, often developing into into much wider bands was the Late 2006 17". This was due to LCD failure, for which there was a repair extension program. This program ended some time ago, so is no longer current. I've had customers, knowing this, who have called apple to see if they can get a cs code to cover the repair, none have, as the program finished too far back.

The hard facts are that Apple no longer holds spares for iMac's of this age, so will not entertain looking at it. The iMac has, sadly, come to the end of it's life. You can add an external display to verify this, and set it to mirror the LCD to continue using the iMac if the external displays normally.

If your iMac isn't the one I've referenced, adding an external display will confirm whether the logic board or LCD is at fault. iMac's from this era had the GPU integrated into the logic board.

Steve Bell
UK
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
The iMac that suffered most from coloured vertical lines, often developing into into much wider bands was the Late 2006 17". This was due to LCD failure, for which there was a repair extension program. This program ended some time ago, so is no longer current. I've had customers, knowing this, who have called apple to see if they can get a cs code to cover the repair, none have, as the program finished too far back.
Thanks for that explanation Steve. I knew somewhere back then they had a program running and wasnt sure if it was still going hence saying give Apple a call. Im more informed now and will have the hard facts for nest time.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
rogsmed

rogsmed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogsmed View Post
I have a 6 yr old iMac. Lately the screen has be developing vertical lines of various colors. It currently has eight of these lines in yellow, aqua, & pink at random spots across the screen. Is there a way to get rid of these lines?
Thanks for the info. I'm on my way to the Apple Store. The new one will be a nice Christmas present for us.
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
What are you talking about? You honestly think Apple is going to repair a 6 year old iMac that has a defective GPU for free? And what's this about a reformatted hard drive and reinstalled OS? Quit spreading FUD.
First off, chill your beans. No one said anything about FREE. Second its common for most manufactures to restore a systems hard drive back to factory settings when you send them in for any repair, free or paid.. THUS I was only reiterating its ALWAYS a good idea to back up ones data.. Jumping my *** as you have is very rude and unwarranted. Esp for STAFF

pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Second its common for most manufactures to restore a systems hard drive back to factory settings when you send them in for any repair, free or paid..
This is not true when dealing with Apple. It may be true for manufacturers other than Apple…but Apple does not do this. What they do is warn you when you drop your computer off for repair is to make sure everything on the HD was backed up…just in case something should happen.

But it is DEFINITELY not Apple's policy to automatically restore an HD back to factory settings on computers sent in for repair.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
Exodist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
This is not true when dealing with Apple. It may be true for manufacturers other than Apple…but Apple does not do this. What they do is warn you when you drop your computer off for repair is to make sure everything on the HD was backed up…just in case something should happen.

But it is DEFINITELY not Apple's policy to automatically restore an HD back to factory settings on computers sent in for repair.

- Nick
Thats good info to know. Glad to see Apple has better customer service then say Dell, HP, etc.. etc.. that always seem to do this. Then again OSX is not Windows.. :-)
BTW thank you on being informative on your post.

-Joe

chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
First off, chill your beans. No one said anything about FREE. Second its common for most manufactures to restore a systems hard drive back to factory settings when you send them in for any repair, free or paid.. THUS I was only reiterating its ALWAYS a good idea to back up ones data.. Jumping my *** as you have is very rude and unwarranted. Esp for STAFF
How about cooling your heels? You spread FUD and were called out for it. If you can't respond responsibly, then don't respond. You very definitely made a remark about what Apple was going to do that wasn't true. You made assumptions that are not based on facts. And as Nick pointed out to you, that is not Apple's policy.

Anyway, this is ended. (And read our guidelines about language or masked language. You can read through them in my sig line.)

Thread Closed

« iMac for graphic work: What does matter most, Ram or processor speed? | new 2012 27" iMac/external monitor »