New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac for graphic work: What does matter most, Ram or processor speed?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

visualthings

visualthings is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, Ipad, Iphone 4 and a few powerbook G4 in various states and conditions

Hi all,

I am about to purchase an iMac 27" for graphic work (art and design work). I tend to use Photoshop and Illustrator on pretty big files. I almost never do video stuff, just static graphics.

Now, I was wondering if I should save some bucks by getting a "slower" machine (2.9GHz instead of a 3.2GHz) but adding more ram. What matters the most for handling big graphic files? I assume it is a bit of both and the more the better, but would I notice a difference between 2.9 and 3.2GHz?

I am currently working on a 2.4GHz macbook Pro with "only" 2GB of ram, so anything should feel like a boost anyway : )
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

With the 27" iMac you can always add more ram on your own…but you cannot upgrade the processor after purchase. So I would say…buy the 3.2ghz model now…and add more ram later (if doing both now is not in your budget).

Also remember that the 3.2ghz model comes with much better graphics hardware (1gig of vram vs. 512meg).

- Nick

p.s. Heck…the 3.2ghz i5 model can be upgraded to a 3.4ghz i7 cpu (on the configuration page).

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Frankly, it is not a matter of processor OR RAM, but rather having enough of both that will give you the most benefit. Having a lot of RAM with a slow processor means you can keep more stuff in memory without having to go to the disk to get it, but processing that data in RAM on a slower processor will be...well slow. Having a fast processor with limited memory means that you are limited in what you can have in memory for processing, which might be happening quickly and the you're going to the disk to get more information which can slow things down.

With a fast processor and lots of RAM, you keep more data available and process it faster..

Now having said that, I purposely left out specifics about what a slow or fast processor is because to compare a 2.9 GHz CPU to a 3.2 GHz CPU is more than just the processor megahertz, the family (i5/i7) matters, whether it is just quad core or quad core with virtualization (adding 4 additional cores) matters..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Everything matters technically. If you have certain parts that are too slow or not enough of something you are going to have a "bottleneck."

For graphic work you probably need a fast processor, a dedicated gpu and plenty of ram. SSD or flash storage doesn't hurt but is not really needed.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
visualthings

visualthings is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, Ipad, Iphone 4 and a few powerbook G4 in various states and conditions

Thanks! Good answers (pigoo in particular. Where's my brain when I need it?...
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualthings View Post
... Where's my brain when I need it?...
Don't ask…unless you want some "creative" answers! Ha ha!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail dosen't always open automatically | iMac Screen Lines »