New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Updating for College

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wespac

Wespac is on a distinguished road

Hello, Mac Forums!

I am currently in the process of updating/phasing out some of my older Apple hardware for a bit more practical setup.

Currently, I have a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display and Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server. I am beginning to prepare for college and am wanting to update my setup for a couple of reasons:
  1. My Mac Mini's cooling system is awful
  2. I would much prefer to lug around a laptop rather than a 27" Cinema Display
  3. I wish to simplify

I am going to school for communications, general advertising, and psychology. However, I am considering studying architecture and eventually industrial design.

I know for a fact that I am going to need a computer to lug around campus. I was looking at selling my Mac Mini and Cinema Display to make room for (or leave room) a 13" MacBook Air with the eventual purchase of a 27" iMac but my mind keeps wanting outside opinions.

One part of me says that the iMac isn't worth it due to the fact that it will be outdated in a year while another part of me says that it's not going to be a huge enough update to make me want to sell it and get another. I'm comfortable living with a powerful iMac for a few (if not many) generations.

tl;dr
I am going to college and want to update my setup. I wish to sell my Cinema Display and Mac Mini Server to purchase a MacBook Air to take with me from class to class as well as a 27" iMac to keep at home for my design work and hobbies (such as FinalCut).

What does Mac Forums think of this?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wespac View Post
I am going to college and want to update my setup. I wish to sell my Cinema Display and Mac Mini Server to purchase a MacBook Air to take with me from class to class as well as a 27" iMac to keep at home for my design work and hobbies (such as FinalCut).

I think a better idea is to sell the Mac-Mini…keep the 27" display…and purchase whatever laptop meets your needs.

Then you can have the best of both worlds. The laptop for cruising around campus…and when you get home…plugging the 27" Cinema Display into your new laptop for the benefits of the LARGE monitor (similar to what a 27" iMac setup would provide)!

There's really no need to buy both a laptop & a 27" iMac.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Hello, Mac Forums!

I am currently in the process of updating/phasing out some of my older Apple hardware for a bit more practical setup.

Currently, I have a 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display and Mid 2011 Mac Mini Server. I am beginning to prepare for college and am wanting to update my setup for a couple of reasons:
  1. My Mac Mini's cooling system is awful
  2. I would much prefer to lug around a laptop rather than a 27" Cinema Display
  3. I wish to simplify

I am going to school for communications, general advertising, and psychology. However, I am considering studying architecture and eventually industrial design.

I know for a fact that I am going to need a computer to lug around campus. I was looking at selling my Mac Mini and Cinema Display to make room for (or leave room) a 13" MacBook Air with the eventual purchase of a 27" iMac but my mind keeps wanting outside opinions.

One part of me says that the iMac isn't worth it due to the fact that it will be outdated in a year while another part of me says that it's not going to be a huge enough update to make me want to sell it and get another. I'm comfortable living with a powerful iMac for a few (if not many) generations.

tl;dr

By any chance are you affiliated to Wespac Dance Center?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
I think a better idea is to sell the Mac-Mini…keep the 27" display…and purchase whatever laptop meets your needs.

Then you can have the best of both worlds. The laptop for cruising around campus…and when you get home…plugging the 27" Cinema Display into your new laptop for the benefits of the LARGE monitor (similar to what a 27" iMac setup would provide)!

- Nick
Totally agree. MBA/MBP on the go and external 27" Cinema Display at home. Best of both worlds really.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Wespac

Wespac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post

- Nick
Thank you for your reply, Nick!

I would go with a stronger laptop, however, the MacBook Pro 13" which is somewhat portable doesn't exactly fit my ideal of "power machine." Not only that, it's not quad-core which at this point, is what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
By any chance are you affiliated to Wespac Dance Center?

Totally agree. MBA/MBP on the go and external 27" Cinema Display at home. Best of both worlds really.
I am not affiliated with them. Sorry :-(
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:

I would go with a stronger laptop, however, the MacBook Pro 13" which is somewhat portable doesn't exactly fit my ideal of "power machine." Not only that, it's not quad-core which at this point, is what I'm looking for.
That's why I mentioned above…"…purchase whatever laptop meets your needs."

If a 13" MacBook Pro doesn't meet your needs…then get a 15" MacBook Pro!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iMac question | Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO »