New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vodoochild81

vodoochild81 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

So about a year ago I bought the Ati Radeon 5770 upgrade kit for my Mac Pro and it has been okay but I wanted to take it to the next level. It would be insane to buy the 5870 for $430 right? When the latest greatest cards blow that one away.

Is there any easy way to get a newer card from the ATI 6000 or 7000 series or the NVIDIA cards to work on a mac pro safely. I was going to buy a card from best buy but the geek squad dude said the card would destroy my mother board as I have a Mac Bios, even if I use it only with windows 7 via boot camp. Is that true? I believe my mac pro has pci 2.0 so the 3.0 cards would not work? Maybe that is what he meant?

Also it would be of course ideal to use this card for osx and windows but if I could just ad a second card to use only for windows I would be okay with that..., if i have to modify my bios or something that sounds risky.

UPDATE I just saw this post! Does anyone have any experience with this? If I upgrade to osx mountain lion will I see a performance upgrade too? I am on snow leopard. I am using FCP 7 as well and wonder how the compatibility with be.

http://nrsotw.blogspot.com/2012/09/g...d-davinci.html
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

For starters, you have to buy video cards that are meant for Macs and OS X. You cannot buy generic video cards regardless of it being PCI 2.0 or 3.0 and assume it's going to work in you Mac. Plugging in a non-Mac specific video card might not work, but I don't imagine that it'd actually cause any damage to the logic board.

I don't have a Mac Pro, so I'm light on knowledge about specific video cards that you can buy to upgrade from what you have..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

In my Mac Pro days the card you are using was faster than the 6870 when tested. The latter had the advantage of running four monitors over the 5770 three. As to the question of using Sapphire and PC cards, google that question.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
For starters, you have to buy video cards that are meant for Macs and OS X. You cannot buy generic video cards regardless of it being PCI 2.0 or 3.0 and assume it's going to work in you Mac. Plugging in a non-Mac specific video card might not work, but I don't imagine that it'd actually cause any damage to the logic board.

I don't have a Mac Pro, so I'm light on knowledge about specific video cards that you can buy to upgrade from what you have..
Smoke on the Water: GTX 660ti in a Mac Pro and DaVinci Resolve 9

Did you read this part of my post? He is using the gtx660i generic brand in my year of mac pro. I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion to do so. How is Mountain Lion? Is it worth upgrading?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodoochild81 View Post
Smoke on the Water: GTX 660ti in a Mac Pro and DaVinci Resolve 9

Did you read this part of my post? He is using the gtx660i generic brand in my year of mac pro. I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion to do so. How is Mountain Lion? Is it worth upgrading?
Installing a non-Mac video card into your Mac Pro is not just "plug & play". You have to "flash the ROM" of the video card to work in a Mac…and if you read the article linked…the Mac can do a few items oddly.

Also…the author of that article certainly doesn't do exactly everything that you do…and as soon as you try something that they don't do…you could run right into a brick wall in terms of compatibility.

Finally. The authors testing was with Mountain Lion version 10.8.2. You never know…when OS 10.8.3 is released…the non-Mac video card could be totally "dead in the water".

What I'm trying to say is…using a non-Mac video card in a Mac Pro…is "User Beware"!! It may work well with some things…and then totally lock-up when doing other things.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
vodoochild81

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
Installing a non-Mac video card into your Mac Pro is not just "plug & play". You have to "flash the ROM" of the video card to work in a Mac…and if you read the article linked…the Mac can do a few items oddly.

Also…the author of that article certainly doesn't do exactly everything that you do…and as soon as you try something that they don't do…you could run right into a brick wall in terms of compatibility.

Finally. The authors testing was with Mountain Lion version 10.8.2. You never know…when OS 10.8.3 is released…the non-Mac video card could be totally "dead in the water".

What I'm trying to say is…using a non-Mac video card in a Mac Pro…is "User Beware"!! It may work well with some things…and then totally lock-up when doing other things.

- Nick

Thanks but,they are not flashing any rom or doing any kind of "hacking" to get this to work. That was the old method and does not even require Mountain Lion, and yes that is totally a user beware scenario. The updates are on the Nvidia website so why would you need to flash it or why would there be a problem?

Sure people are running into some issues but if you kept reading the threads it was all user error such as not installing the latest updates of the Nvidia Drivers and Cuda.

Unfortunately this seems like the best the pro community will get until they just totally cut us off as well as the mac pro line.

Some of these video cards do require two power cables to plug into a motherboard that might not be designed for it...I actually talked to a mac genius and he simple said "i would not recommend doing that." I could brick the machine. But I am not sure if that was just a political liability answer... Ah...times like this I don't get why I still use macs.
QUOTE Thanks
nrsotw

nrsotw is on a distinguished road

Hi there, the Mac Pro Motherboard has two connections for GPU power.
If you read some of the other posts on my blog there is more information about installing "PC" cards in a Mac Pro. There is also info on where to get the power cables required.
Many people have had success with these cards.
Basically since OSX 10.7.2 it has been possible to use an Nvidia 500 or 600 series graphic card.
There are also rumours that in 10.8.3 Apple will add support for AMD 7000 cards.
Good luck!!
http://nrsotw.blogspot.co.uk/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Updating for College | Trash won't empty !! HELP !! »