Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO

    Member Since
    May 27, 2010
    Posts
    72
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO
    Hey guys,

    So about a year ago I bought the Ati Radeon 5770 upgrade kit for my Mac Pro and it has been okay but I wanted to take it to the next level. It would be insane to buy the 5870 for $430 right? When the latest greatest cards blow that one away.

    Is there any easy way to get a newer card from the ATI 6000 or 7000 series or the NVIDIA cards to work on a mac pro safely. I was going to buy a card from best buy but the geek squad dude said the card would destroy my mother board as I have a Mac Bios, even if I use it only with windows 7 via boot camp. Is that true? I believe my mac pro has pci 2.0 so the 3.0 cards would not work? Maybe that is what he meant?

    Also it would be of course ideal to use this card for osx and windows but if I could just ad a second card to use only for windows I would be okay with that..., if i have to modify my bios or something that sounds risky.

    UPDATE I just saw this post! Does anyone have any experience with this? If I upgrade to osx mountain lion will I see a performance upgrade too? I am on snow leopard. I am using FCP 7 as well and wonder how the compatibility with be.

    http://nrsotw.blogspot.com/2012/09/g...d-davinci.html

  2. #2
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,179
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    For starters, you have to buy video cards that are meant for Macs and OS X. You cannot buy generic video cards regardless of it being PCI 2.0 or 3.0 and assume it's going to work in you Mac. Plugging in a non-Mac specific video card might not work, but I don't imagine that it'd actually cause any damage to the logic board.

    I don't have a Mac Pro, so I'm light on knowledge about specific video cards that you can buy to upgrade from what you have..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  3. #3
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,004
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    In my Mac Pro days the card you are using was faster than the 6870 when tested. The latter had the advantage of running four monitors over the 5770 three. As to the question of using Sapphire and PC cards, google that question.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  4. #4
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO

    Member Since
    May 27, 2010
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    For starters, you have to buy video cards that are meant for Macs and OS X. You cannot buy generic video cards regardless of it being PCI 2.0 or 3.0 and assume it's going to work in you Mac. Plugging in a non-Mac specific video card might not work, but I don't imagine that it'd actually cause any damage to the logic board.

    I don't have a Mac Pro, so I'm light on knowledge about specific video cards that you can buy to upgrade from what you have..
    Smoke on the Water: GTX 660ti in a Mac Pro and DaVinci Resolve 9

    Did you read this part of my post? He is using the gtx660i generic brand in my year of mac pro. I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion to do so. How is Mountain Lion? Is it worth upgrading?

  5. #5
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,459
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by vodoochild81 View Post
    Smoke on the Water: GTX 660ti in a Mac Pro and DaVinci Resolve 9

    Did you read this part of my post? He is using the gtx660i generic brand in my year of mac pro. I need to upgrade to Mountain Lion to do so. How is Mountain Lion? Is it worth upgrading?
    Installing a non-Mac video card into your Mac Pro is not just "plug & play". You have to "flash the ROM" of the video card to work in a Mac…and if you read the article linked…the Mac can do a few items oddly.

    Also…the author of that article certainly doesn't do exactly everything that you do…and as soon as you try something that they don't do…you could run right into a brick wall in terms of compatibility.

    Finally. The authors testing was with Mountain Lion version 10.8.2. You never know…when OS 10.8.3 is released…the non-Mac video card could be totally "dead in the water".

    What I'm trying to say is…using a non-Mac video card in a Mac Pro…is "User Beware"!! It may work well with some things…and then totally lock-up when doing other things.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO

    Member Since
    May 27, 2010
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Installing a non-Mac video card into your Mac Pro is not just "plug & play". You have to "flash the ROM" of the video card to work in a Mac…and if you read the article linked…the Mac can do a few items oddly.

    Also…the author of that article certainly doesn't do exactly everything that you do…and as soon as you try something that they don't do…you could run right into a brick wall in terms of compatibility.

    Finally. The authors testing was with Mountain Lion version 10.8.2. You never know…when OS 10.8.3 is released…the non-Mac video card could be totally "dead in the water".

    What I'm trying to say is…using a non-Mac video card in a Mac Pro…is "User Beware"!! It may work well with some things…and then totally lock-up when doing other things.

    - Nick

    Thanks but,they are not flashing any rom or doing any kind of "hacking" to get this to work. That was the old method and does not even require Mountain Lion, and yes that is totally a user beware scenario. The updates are on the Nvidia website so why would you need to flash it or why would there be a problem?

    Sure people are running into some issues but if you kept reading the threads it was all user error such as not installing the latest updates of the Nvidia Drivers and Cuda.

    Unfortunately this seems like the best the pro community will get until they just totally cut us off as well as the mac pro line.

    Some of these video cards do require two power cables to plug into a motherboard that might not be designed for it...I actually talked to a mac genius and he simple said "i would not recommend doing that." I could brick the machine. But I am not sure if that was just a political liability answer... Ah...times like this I don't get why I still use macs.

  7. #7
    Video Card Upgrade 2008 MAC PRO

    Member Since
    Dec 06, 2012
    Posts
    1
    Mac Pro GPU power connections
    Hi there, the Mac Pro Motherboard has two connections for GPU power.
    If you read some of the other posts on my blog there is more information about installing "PC" cards in a Mac Pro. There is also info on where to get the power cables required.
    Many people have had success with these cards.
    Basically since OSX 10.7.2 it has been possible to use an Nvidia 500 or 600 series graphic card.
    There are also rumours that in 10.8.3 Apple will add support for AMD 7000 cards.
    Good luck!!
    http://nrsotw.blogspot.co.uk/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Video Card Upgrade on a Mac Pro
    By vodoochild81 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 11:36 PM
  2. Mac pro circa 2008 needs graphics card upgrade
    By srooney in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM
  3. Mac Pro (Original) video card upgrade
    By cablett_ndv in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-09-2011, 06:59 PM
  4. Upgrading 2008 Mac Pro Video Card
    By Falco in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 05:50 PM
  5. Mac Pro video card upgrade?
    By Pimpis in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •