New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac or Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DirtyDan

DirtyDan is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a new Mac Book Pro about a week ago. I have an iPad 2, and my wife and I both have an iPhone 4s. We also have an Apple TV.

I replace my Windows7 laptop with the Mac Book Pro since the Windows laptop died.

All my files are stored on a Buffalo Linkstation Duo.

What I would like to do is purchase either a iMac or a Mac Mini to store all my files and setup file sharing and use the LInkstation as just a back up. The reason I am looking at the iMac or Mac Mini is I want my Apple TV to be able to see my iTunes library and photos without the need to keep my Mac Book open all the time. I would also like to point iPhoto on my Mac Book to my photos that will be stored on the iMac or Mac Book.

I am a new user to Mac.

Can someone please recommend if I should go with the iMac or Mac Mini or if I should do something different?

Thank You
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

It really depends on whether you already have a monitor and keyboard and how you intend to use. But IMO the Mac Mini is a better choice.
In particular you may want to consider upgrading to OSX Server ($29 if I remember correctly) or even buying a mini in the server configuration. Have a look at the articles in our MacForum BLOG section to see if this might interest you.

http://www.mac-forums.com/blog/os-x-...-of-server-r2/

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
DirtyDan

this line in the blog sums it up for me "If all you need is to share files and maybe host a shared iTunes library on a machine at home, then honestly, you are better off with the sharing capabilities built into the regular OSX." unless I am missing something...

is there any particular reason you think the Mac Mini is the better choice?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
this line in the blog sums it up for me "If all you need is to share files and maybe host a shared iTunes library on a machine at home, then honestly, you are better off with the sharing capabilities built into the regular OSX." unless I am missing something...

is there any particular reason you think the Mac Mini is the better choice?
I'm not a fan of all-in-one designs. You repurchase your Monitor every time you update. Yes, a fully decked out Mac Mini, Keyboard, TrackPad and Thunderbolt Display will cost as much as (or more than) the equivalent iMac, with a nod to the iMac for being somewhat more powerful.
But, five years from now when you replace your Mac Mini with the 2017 version Mini (or even Mac Pro) your new box will leave the old iMac in the dust and all you have to replace is the Mini.
My opinion FWIW.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
DirtyDan

that makes sense...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Do I have any options | Mac Mini restoration? »