New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Random black lines appear on desktop?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shine183

Shine183 is on a distinguished road

Hello, I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or not.. I'm new. Anyway my question is if anyone can help me with this issue I have these random black lines that appear around my desktop in different sections of the screen when I put a video or iTunes into fullscreen they disappear, does anyone know the cause? Thanks!
Here's an image: Image of issue
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

What model computer are we talking about?:

- MacBook
- MacBook Pro
- Mac-Mini
- iMac
- Mac Pro
- or something older than those

* Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Shine183

Oh I guess I should have mentioned that sorry, it's a Macbook pro 2.5GHz running Lion
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine183 View Post
Oh I guess I should have mentioned that sorry, it's a Macbook pro 2.5GHz running Lion
Thanks for the info…yes that helps us "visualize" what you have.

- How long have these lines been appearing?
- How often do they appear? For example how long can you use the computer (on average) before they show up?
- Can you be more specific what model MacBook Pro 2.5ghz it is (there have been a number of them over the years)? Or just tell us approx. how old it is.
- Have you tried booting the computer from an OS CD/DVD, or an external HD with an OS on it?
- Have you tried a PRAM reset?
- Have you tried an SMC reset?
- Have you done anything to it such as a hardware upgrade (ram or HD)?
- Have you cleaned it ever (dirt/fuzz)?
- If this computer is not too old…does it still have Applecare remaining on it?

Just a bunch of stuff to throw your way to see if anything helps. I could just say that your logic board or graphics hardware are going bad (which is very possible)…but wanted to cross some other stuff "off the troubleshooting list" first before declaring the worst!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
Shine183

Thanks for the help Nick.

The lines have been appearing for about three weeks now, I can't tell you how long I go using my computer before they appear because some days they don't appear at all.
The macbook is only a year old the model type is A1278 I have not done any type of resets or hardware upgrades to it as I have no idea how I'm new to macs. I have not cleaned it, since I got it which I know is probably a bad thing, but I have been planning to spray it down just to get some of the dust that might be around. As for the applecare, I'm not sure if it does or doesn't
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
The macbook is only a year old the model type is A1278…

As for the applecare, I'm not sure if it does or doesn't
Thanks for the info. The "A1278" narrows things down…but there are/were probably 5-10 MacBook Pro models over a 2 year period with the A1278 designator.

If you don't know if you have Applecare remaining on this computer…you should find out. This problem could be a VERY serious matter…and if you have Applecare remaining…it could make very BIG difference. Like a $500-$700 difference if it's the logic board!!!

Did you buy this computer new or used?

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Shine183

I bought this computer new straight from the apple website sometime in August of 2011. That's really all I know about it sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
I bought this computer new straight from the apple website sometime in August of 2011. That's really all I know about it sorry.
Go to the Apple drop-down menu…and select "About This Mac". Tell us what that window says. Mainly the info next to "Processor". Also tell us what display size it has.

As far as Applecare. If you purchased it August 2011…then you had Applecare until at least August 2012. Did you purchase extended Applecare? If not…then you are own your own. And if this is a logic board/graphics hardware issue…you're looking at about a $500-$700 repair.

This potentially could be a very serious matter (unless $500-$700 is peanuts for you)…so I would suggest making a real effort to learn more about this computing situation…and the specifics of your computer!

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Shine183

-13in display
-Version 10.7.5
-Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core 17
-Memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
-Graphics Intel HD 3000 384 MB
QUOTE Thanks
jones7701

jones7701 is on a distinguished road

Ive got the same problem, black lines on the desktop and thru the icons

ive made an appointment with apple saturday, might be without my mac for a week...

i think its hardware, my warranty expires 6th Jan, so now is the best time to get it fixed...

ill post what happens post saturday, my mac is mid 2011, mac book air

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Might also be a good time to purchase Apple care and extend that warranty another two years?
QUOTE Thanks
jones7701

yeah im thinking about it, its $299 for extra 2 years
QUOTE Thanks
jones7701

Some bad news, apple called and said its software, can we rebuild, i said yes

i got it home, within 1 hour, black lines appear again

so another appointment is booked, for this thursday, so close to christmas, not very happy...

anyone got ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It sounds like it's graphics related. If it is, it means a new logic board - a very expensive repair if your machine was out of warranty.

And by the way, B&H Photo (an authorized Apple reseller) in New York sells Apple care discounted. Check them out first before buying from Apple. Remember though, you have to purchase Apple care before your original one year warranty expires.
QUOTE Thanks
jones7701

Ok Folks, 'Black Horizontal Lines' has ceased...

Apple replaced the logic board and I got it back, and the lines are gone... and its been running for 5 hours..

Usually they would begin within 1 - 2 hours

The black horizontal lines were just like the author of this thread, if you need clarification...

So my last job here is, to tell people... If you get those lines like myself and the author got, its needs a logic board replacement...

Happy holidays

Jones
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting started? | Do I need a DVI convertor or a new display screen? »