New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Unfuse Fusion Drive on Mac Mini?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

7enderbender

7enderbender is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I'm very seriously considering going from Windows to Mac and would start with a desktop replacement for my photo editing and audio recording needs. The specs on the i7 2012 model look promising enough to get everything done and I prefer this solution to the new iMac even though we haven't seen it yet. Not a big fan of the all-in-one design to begin with and the screens likely don't work for me still.

What I'd like to have though is two drives inside the Mac Mini: one SSD (256GB or so) and a completely separate magnetic drive with the largest capacity that the Mac Mini will handle in that configuration. 7200rpm would be ideal. Let's not get into why I want it like that and how that makes me an old person who refuses the mighty Apple managing everything for me.

So with that in mind I figured a good starting point would be to just order the fusion option - which as we all know comes with a SSD drive and a 1TB magnetic drive "fused" together by software. So even though neither of the drives would be the ones that I really want it would be a good starting point to check things out without taking a screwdriver to it and voiding the warranty - and the potential option to take it back.

Question with that though is how I could permanently (!) remove the "fusion" option. I know there are commands to do that but I wonder if I'll have to do this any time there is an update because the machine is labeled as "fusion" type setup. I read that those machines come with a different version of the DiskUtility. Is that something I could replace? What would happen if I bought my own OSX installation CD and did a fresh install - would it ask me if I wanted the fusion drive or would it just assume that because of how it was shipped originally? And what happens once I start swapping the original drives for something bigger and faster?
QUOTE Thanks
7enderbender

MPG blog - Disk Utility (Fusion Version)? Cannot Handle Two Internal Drives in MacMini

Here is a blog entry by someone who has been dealing with the issue that I'm trying to get at. But either I'm missing something or there is no explanation here either on how to permanently fix this - e.g. by installing a different version of Disk Utility. Where does that live anyway?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Interesting read.

I for one would like to hear how your project turns out if you decide to pursue it.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
7enderbender

Anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Recommend getting the 1TB 5400RPM model and then adding a 2nd drive (SSD) to it. Then just cloning the original drive. After doing so you should be able to go into the mac boot menu and point it to the other drive to boot. At least thats my plans over the next few weeks.
You'll have to excuse me, I got more *nix experience then OSX..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrhin2ed8E

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Recommend getting the 1TB 5400RPM model and then adding a 2nd drive (SSD) to it. Then just cloning the original drive. After doing so you should be able to go into the mac boot menu and point it to the other drive to boot. At least thats my plans over the next few weeks.
You'll have to excuse me, I got more *nix experience then OSX..

Mac Mini Unibody Second Hard Drive Installation (applies to the new Late 2012 model) - YouTube
The 1TB 5400RPM doesn't have fusion drive though?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Probably want to get something bigger than 1TB and maybe faster RPM?
Think he was wanting to put an SSD in the system. Not sure if anyone wants to buy a 1TB SSD or if they make them yet in 2.5" form factors.. I know I wouldn't LOL

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Think he was wanting to put an SSD in the system. Not sure if anyone wants to buy a 1TB SSD or if they make them yet in 2.5" form factors.. I know I wouldn't LOL
I think the biggest capacity is 960GB or something like that. >_>" That is pretty much the two mac minis, so good luck with that. They do make them in 2.5" form.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm very seriously considering going from Windows to Mac and would start with a desktop replacement for my photo editing and audio recording needs. The specs on the i7 2012 model look promising enough to get everything done and I prefer this solution to the new iMac even though we haven't seen it yet. Not a big fan of the all-in-one design to begin with and the screens likely don't work for me still.

What I'd like to have though is two drives inside the Mac Mini: one SSD (256GB or so) and a completely separate magnetic drive with the largest capacity that the Mac Mini will handle in that configuration. 7200rpm would be ideal. Let's not get into why I want it like that and how that makes me an old person who refuses the mighty Apple managing everything for me.

So with that in mind I figured a good starting point would be to just order the fusion option - which as we all know comes with a SSD drive and a 1TB magnetic drive "fused" together by software. So even though neither of the drives would be the ones that I really want it would be a good starting point to check things out without taking a screwdriver to it and voiding the warranty - and the potential option to take it back.

Question with that though is how I could permanently (!) remove the "fusion" option. I know there are commands to do that but I wonder if I'll have to do this any time there is an update because the machine is labeled as "fusion" type setup. I read that those machines come with a different version of the DiskUtility. Is that something I could replace? What would happen if I bought my own OSX installation CD and did a fresh install - would it ask me if I wanted the fusion drive or would it just assume that because of how it was shipped originally? And what happens once I start swapping the original drives for something bigger and faster?
The other option would be to just get the basic Mac Mini without fusion drive and just do it yourself. There is a tutorial online with all the coding and stuff. All you need to do really is get the hardware in place and follow along.

Linky.

The fusion drive that is setup by Apple has a 128GB SSD, and then a standard hard drive.

They also have a tutorial on how to revert fusion drive back into native disk.

Unfuse fusion drive linky.

Keep in mind I haven't tried this out myself yet. Maybe someone on the board has and can maybe share some of their experience?

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Just a thought, not directed at the OP. This kind of IO management has previously only been available in very high end storage solutions (the kind you're not ever going to see in a home environment). Tiering is an amazingly elegant solution to combine speed and storage. What it should do is take all hot extents and promote them to the SSD, while simultaneously demoting cool (or flat out cold) extents to the rotaitonal drive.

Nice. I think I really want to play with the fusion drive

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac: Internal drive won't mount | Mac Pro Updating »