Monitor stand for Mac Mini

Hello Everyone,

I have had an idea to tidy away the cables on my Mac Mini and integrate it
    with a monitor. I have mocked up an image to show how it could look.

I'm posting the idea purely to seek feedback, not to advertise.

Thanks,

Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    Welcome to Mac-Forums

Would the stand be able to handle any sort of monitor? Or does the stand somehow manage the monitors stand as well?
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

The stand is designed to support the monitor too. It should work with any monitor with a VESA mounting, however they may be some exceptions.

Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    One of the things about the Mac Mini is that people tend to use it with non-Apple monitors that they already have..so being able to incorporate those would be vital to the design IMO. I'm not sure how many of them comply with the VESA mounting standard..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

Specs:
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
    Most LCDs will have the same adapter (once you take off the existing stand) for the VESA standard. If not, the manufacturers generally have an adapter for the monitor to VESA. we just went through and desk-mounted 1500 monitors at work, about 15 different models, manufacturers and sizes, and they all had VESA mounts once we took off the stands.

There is a stand like this, or one that mounts on stands, from 12 South. It puts the mini in the back of the monitor, completely out of sight and out of the way.
    MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
    MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
    iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Air 2 128 GB LTE, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Note that, although the Mini no longer comes with an optical drive, older ones do. This design seems to prevent access to the front panel. Is this stand designed to work only with the newer Mini?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    There is a stand like this, or one that mounts on stands, from 12 South. It puts the mini in the back of the monitor, completely out of sight and out of the way.
    BackPack 2 - BackPack 2 - Twelve South

Is this the product? It looks like it only works on Mac monitors, but I may be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Note that, although the Mini no longer comes with an optical drive, older ones do. This design seems to prevent access to the front panel. Is this stand designed to work only with the newer Mini?
    I have also designed one that would work with the older models which had the optical drive

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Since you are looking for feedback and I have and use a MacMini (older version) with a non-Apple monitor, here is mine:

1) Well rendered and clean image
    2) I don't like it and wouldn't use it
    3) No advantage to me to position it under the monitor in front as shown
    4) Behind the monitor and out of sight and I would consider it
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thanks for your feedback Razormac

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    3) No advantage to me to position it under the monitor in front as shown
    I can certainly see this being an even more relevant issue if you need access to the back of the Mini on a regular basis. If you need regular access to the USB, FireWire or audio port(s), this design is a bit cumbersome and obtrusive.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Specs:
    late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Yosemite, Retina display iPad, Iphone 5S
    As a 2011 mini user myself, I would not consider a front mount. It looks awkward, cumbersome, and all the cables would be visible at the front. Hide it behind the monitor and I might consider it. It probably would be cleaner than what I use now. I just fabricated an aluminum U shaped bracket, screwed it to the back of my monitor stand and slid it right in. Out of sight, out of mind.

Bill

Thread Information