New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Monitor stand for Mac Mini

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ben Ayre

Ben Ayre is on a distinguished road

Hello Everyone,

I have had an idea to tidy away the cables on my Mac Mini and integrate it
with a monitor. I have mocked up an image to show how it could look.

I'm posting the idea purely to seek feedback, not to advertise.

Thanks,

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mac stand 001.JPG.jpg (61.1 KB, 38 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Welcome to Mac-Forums

Would the stand be able to handle any sort of monitor? Or does the stand somehow manage the monitors stand as well?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Ben Ayre

The stand is designed to support the monitor too. It should work with any monitor with a VESA mounting, however they may be some exceptions.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

One of the things about the Mac Mini is that people tend to use it with non-Apple monitors that they already have..so being able to incorporate those would be vital to the design IMO. I'm not sure how many of them comply with the VESA mounting standard..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Most LCDs will have the same adapter (once you take off the existing stand) for the VESA standard. If not, the manufacturers generally have an adapter for the monitor to VESA. we just went through and desk-mounted 1500 monitors at work, about 15 different models, manufacturers and sizes, and they all had VESA mounts once we took off the stands.

There is a stand like this, or one that mounts on stands, from 12 South. It puts the mini in the back of the monitor, completely out of sight and out of the way.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Note that, although the Mini no longer comes with an optical drive, older ones do. This design seems to prevent access to the front panel. Is this stand designed to work only with the newer Mini?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Ben Ayre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
There is a stand like this, or one that mounts on stands, from 12 South. It puts the mini in the back of the monitor, completely out of sight and out of the way.
BackPack 2 - BackPack 2 - Twelve South

Is this the product? It looks like it only works on Mac monitors, but I may be wrong!
QUOTE Thanks
Ben Ayre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Note that, although the Mini no longer comes with an optical drive, older ones do. This design seems to prevent access to the front panel. Is this stand designed to work only with the newer Mini?
I have also designed one that would work with the older models which had the optical drive
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Since you are looking for feedback and I have and use a MacMini (older version) with a non-Apple monitor, here is mine:

1) Well rendered and clean image
2) I don't like it and wouldn't use it
3) No advantage to me to position it under the monitor in front as shown
4) Behind the monitor and out of sight and I would consider it

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Ben Ayre

Thanks for your feedback Razormac
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
3) No advantage to me to position it under the monitor in front as shown
I can certainly see this being an even more relevant issue if you need access to the back of the Mini on a regular basis. If you need regular access to the USB, FireWire or audio port(s), this design is a bit cumbersome and obtrusive.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
bboggess

bboggess has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: late 2011 mac Mini, 2.3 GHz core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Mountain Lion 10.8.4, Retina display iPad

As a 2011 mini user myself, I would not consider a front mount. It looks awkward, cumbersome, and all the cables would be visible at the front. Hide it behind the monitor and I might consider it. It probably would be cleaner than what I use now. I just fabricated an aluminum U shaped bracket, screwed it to the back of my monitor stand and slid it right in. Out of sight, out of mind.

Bill
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac on generator power, yes or no? | RGB to CMYK conversion »