New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

dvd/home movies

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

GingerM

GingerM is on a distinguished road

I recently dubbed all of my old VHS tapes over to DVD's & now I want to import them into idvd to streamline them for my kids. I am unable to upload them. Any ideas?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

iDVD is used for burning movies to disc. It sounds like by the term "streamline" that your intent is to edit them. For that, you would use iMovie.

How you import them into iMovie depends on what format you dubbed the VHS tapes to. iMovie can be used for this purpose, so I'm guessing you chose to use a different piece of software for this. Can you tell us about what format the footage files are in, and how you came to convert them to digital?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
GingerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
iDVD is used for burning movies to disc. It sounds like by the term "streamline" that your intent is to edit them. For that, you would use iMovie.

How you import them into iMovie depends on what format you dubbed the VHS tapes to. iMovie can be used for this purpose, so I'm guessing you chose to use a different piece of software for this. Can you tell us about what format the footage files are in, and how you came to convert them to digital?
I don't really know. I used a VHS player hooked up to a DVD recorder, hit record on the recorder & play on the VHS player & vavoom, 2 hours later in hit finalize on the recorder and it was done.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Aha. So, you literally copied them from a VHS to a recordable DVD set top box. So, in essence, you will need to "rip" or convert the data from the DVDs into a format that iMovie can understand.

Here's an article that should help, just ignore the final step about exporting to FaceBook:

From DVD to iMovie to Facebook | Macworld

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
GingerM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Aha. So, you literally copied them from a VHS to a recordable DVD set top box. So, in essence, you will need to "rip" or convert the data from the DVDs into a format that iMovie can understand.

Here's an article that should help, just ignore the final step about exporting to FaceBook:

From DVD to iMovie to Facebook | Macworld
Thanks! I'll give it a try!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac won't boot drive as external | Known issues for the Mac Pro? »