New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

New iMac Core Duo - Question from a designer?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

Hello again guys,

Just a couple of questions regarding the new iMac's with intel chips.

As some of you may remember i posted a while back with some questions about the iMac G5.

well, i am still saving up for the iMac but am now seriousley considering the new intel one as with my discount it comes to roughly 20 dearer for the following system:

* 1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
* 160GB Serial ATA drive
* Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X

* 17-inch TFT display
* 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo processor
* SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
* ATI Radeon X1600 - 128MB GDDR3 SDRAM
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0

Now, i would just like some opinions on whether this system would easily perform the following:

Video Editing (i.e. Final Cut pro, iDVD, iMovie etc...)
Photo Editing (Inc photoshop, Possible use of Aperture)
Web Design (Macromedia Flash, Dreamweaver etc etc...)
Word Processing (Microsoft Office)
Music Recording (Garage Band mainly)

Tasks like the above are what i want to be doing, things relating to my course and my work.

Any information and/or advice would be apprechiated.

Kind Regards,

Chris. :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

To be honest I can't see how the system in question wouldn't run those well, especially considering that many of the mentioned apps are from Apple and will already be Universal apps when you get them. The CoreDuo chip will simply make it that much better, IMHO.

QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

is final cut pro univeral now.. or next version?

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

except for some of the adobe apps. until they make them universal, they will run on rosetta.
QUOTE Thanks
MrChris

MrChris is a jewel in the roughMrChris is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 20" iMac | iPhone 4

So all is good in the MAC + Intel camp then?

Regards,

Chris.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Well, as far as we know, yes. I don't think anyone has actually received their Intel Macs yet, so the jury is still out on the reality of it all.

QUOTE Thanks
ByzantineRemnant

ByzantineRemnant will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4

MrChris,
Good evening. I think that the iMac you are looking at would be quite proficient at performing the tasks you desire. I will be making a similar purchase, although I am waiting for the release of Leopard; at the date I will purchase a 20" iMac, the latest revision. I think if you were to purchase the 17" iMac right now, or in a year, you would be a very happy customer. It wil perform the tasks you want well, though you must get additional memory, 1-2 gb. I hope this helps, enjoy your Mac purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Smartz is on a distinguished road

I can confirm that I have my Intel Imac and found the performance to be the same if not faster than my G5 in most of the adobe CS2 suite.
QUOTE Thanks
macanal

macanal can only hope to improve

I dont think Final cut pro 5 will work
QUOTE Thanks
Jammers

Jammers is on a distinguished road

None of the Pro apps are Universal yet and they ahve also stopped selling Final Cut Pro separatly. When they release the universal edition it wil only be sold as part if Final Cut Studio, much moe expensive. Current versions will run in Rosetta so expect much slowness.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« divx / xvid on intel iMacs? | 12" or 15"...is the difference in performance, etc. that great? »