New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Malware

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

keflin2612

keflin2612 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Can some one surgest a good free anti malware for the imac.
Cheers Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Just use common sense and go to the developers site before you say ok and enter your password
to make sure it is a legit download or try and find what you need in the App Store if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

There is no need for antivirus software.
QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

That strange as I appear to have picked up a Trojan.

Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrisMan287

ChrisMan287 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by keflin2612 View Post
How so?
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keflin2612 View Post

Kev.
What did you download as it would have still require your password for the installation to complete or maybe a better question why do you think you have a problem does not mean it has a Trojan,Malware or Virus.
There are Trojans and Malware for all OS's but with those you must agree and install with a password.
QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

I have split my hard drive and am running parallels desktop on one and and the other is standard mac, I do this because I run a website business and it suites me to flit between the two. I am running Mozzila Thunderbird for my emails both on parallels and on mac both exactly the same account, as I need to access my emails on both "strange I know but I find it easier that way" anyway all was fine up untill yesterday, then when I went to send an email out I got an error message saying.

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see The Spamhaus Project - Blocklist Removal Center Results.

I tried from my other Thunderbird and that was the same, so I pasted the url address you can see above into a search and it took me to a site called Spamhause / Blocklist removal centre and it gave me a link to click on and that said in not so many words
"infected with/ Trojan:win32/Ramnit (microsoft)"

Everthing else is working fine, on both partitions, it's just the email that is playing up.
I can receive with no problems, just not send.

Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

Sorry about the crap images, I'm afraid I'm not use to uploading them onto forums.
Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Have you recently changed your provider or your IP address has been changed

It is common that you could have inherited an IP address that is on a blacklist, hence the error.

It is a right royal pain to sort out since you basically have to tell various lists that you are the new owner of an IP address and are no longer a spammer or an infected machine

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

That sounds far to complicated for me and well beyond my means, I take it that it would'nt help if I re-installed Thunderbird.

Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

I just use Sophos on my mac, it doesnt really slow it down that much, i use it mainly because everyone i communicate with has a PC and have malware and viruses daily. I dont really see a need for antivirus if you are on a mac though.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Did you click on the link at the bottom of the CBL lookup page to have your IP delisted?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Also, since no one has specifically said it yet, this has nothing to specifically do with your local machine, i.e., re-installing Thunderbird or OS X or whatever will not make this go away.

Your IP address, given to you by your ISP, is one that might have been previously used to do bad things..

Visit a website like What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address which will tell you what your public IP address is. Note that and then go to your cable modem and power it off and let it rest for a few minutes. Then turn it back on and once you're fully online, go back to the URL and see if your public IP changed or remained the same.

If it remained the same, your ISP is locking your cable modem to that IP, so you'll have to call them and give them the IP address and have them move to a different IP address. Do let them know that this particular one has been blacklisted so that they can quarantine the address and others won't have to go through this again..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
keflin2612

Thanks everbody for all your help. I switched my imac on this moring and for some reason everything seems OK now "touch wood"
Thanks again.
Kev.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Your ISP assigned you a new IP address.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2009 mac pro wont power up | 21" vs 27" iMac »