Mac Mini connection to Apple 20 inch Cinema Display
    Hi,

I am buying a second hand Mac Mini which is only 3 three months old - in fact it comes in the specs for a Mid-2011 model. Model No. 1347. It hasn't come yet but I am concerned about the connection to my existing Apple Cinema Display 20 inch.

I have researched it on the web but really it is very complex and information differs. Without seeing it, KRCS (Apple shop in Hull) say on phone that I will need a Mini Display Port to DVI adaptor. These are 25, so I don't want to make a mistake.

The included HDMI to DVI adaptor is for...?? Only for TV? I've seen a message on an Apple Support page dated 2010 saying that he used this for his Mac Mini > Apple 20", but I am not sure.

I shall not buy any adaptor until I see the Mac Mini. But please can someone reassure me that I WILL be able to connect the two items?

The Apple Cinema Display 20 inch that I have has a cable which ends in a male connector which I can see has a small flat (male) slot beside 18 pins which are arranged in 2 square blocks of 9 pins each. Clearly I need a connector to the Mac Mini which has a female end.

Does this connector go into the Thunderbolt port or into HDMI? If HDMI, then I can use the given cable. If Thunderbolt, then which do I need to buy?

And, crucially, am I going to be able to connect them?? Or should I cancel the order for my Mac Mini!!

Confused!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    You will be able to use the HDMI - DVI adapter that was supplied with the Mac Mini with your 20" Cinema Display.
    Steve
    UK

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    The HDMI port will be limited to 1920x1200 resolution

So you will need a mini display port to DVI to get better resolutions

Mac mini "Core i5" 2.5 (Mid-2011) Specs (Mid-2011, MC816LL/A, Macmini5,2, A1347, 2442) @ EveryMac.com
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Quote Originally Posted by techiesteve View Post
    You will be able to use the HDMI - DVI adapter that was supplied with the Mac Mini with your 20" Cinema Display.
    Thank you, this is interesting.

And further on I see that by resolution, my Apple 20" will be okay using the cable supplied with the MacMini (HDMI to DVI).

So perhaps I won't need to buy anything extra for the connection.

But I would be very interested to see a better picture of this supplied cable (better than I can see on the Apple site), if anyone can find one? Just so I can be sure that the male end of my Apple 20" will fit into it. See above for description.

Thank you, that would be great!

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    All sorts of pics already in post # 4 here.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    All sorts of pics already in post # 4 here.
    Much appreciated, I think if your info doesn't sort it, not much will! Thanks.

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    And yes, the HDMI to DVI adapter will have the female DVI.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz
    Quote Originally Posted by MacinYorkshire View Post
    But I would be very interested to see a better picture of this supplied cable (better than I can see on the Apple site), if anyone can find one? Just so I can be sure that the male end of my Apple 20" will fit into it.
    It will fit and work, your proposed configuration is a common one I've used/seen many times, not just a 'likely to work'. Your 20" Cinema Display resolution is within the resolution capability of the HDMI port, and the HDMI - DVI adapter is made to mate with the DVI connector used by your display. I would only spec a Mini DisplayPort - DVI adapter for higher resolution displays outside the HDMI ports resolution capability or if you were using multiple displays.
    Steve
    UK

Thread Information