New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Reinstalling lion os x

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andylam

andylam is on a distinguished road

Hey guys i recently had mountain lion and kept getting kernel panic errors so i wanted to get lion back. So i went into recovery mode and erased my hard driver and trying to re-install lion with the option in recovery mode but it said that my account never bought it before. So technically when my computer can only boot in recovery mode. What can i do? I have the disc for lion os x but i dont know how to use it to install lion if i cant start up my computer normally. (since i erased my hard drive when i boot up my computer it has a file icon and a question mark that just blinks. And i never set up time machine before Am i screwed?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You say you have the disk for Lion, is that a DVD or have you previously cloned your hard drive

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
andylam

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
You say you have the disk for Lion, is that a DVD or have you previously cloned your hard drive
a Dvd its not cloned
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Further what operating system came with the computer when new? If OS X.6 Snow Leopard using the system install disc. Had you purchased Lion previously? Lion did not come on a DVD only downloadable like Mountain Lion unless of course you made a copy prior to running the install. A USB thumb drive was a far better option but you did need to make the copy prior to running the Installer. The problem with Lion and Mountain Lion is they remain the property of the person who paid for them at the App Store and do not carry over to new owners of the machines as DVDs did. This may help:-

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
andylam

Someone gave me the disc and told me to use it but i have no idea how. It mountian and not lion my bad. Is there a way to use the disk in disk utilities to restore to mountain lion? When i boot up my computer it automatically goes into recovery mode.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Not if you have failed to purchase it. You cannot use Recovery and download a new version as it is not in your Apple ID at the App Store. One of the disadvantages of using software illegally.

Then back to my previous question about original operating system and OS X.6.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
andylam

It came with lion not snow leopard

If I use disk utilities would it be possible to have a disc that have lion or mountain and download it to my hard drive?
Cause if I type in my apple Id reinstalling lion it tell me that I didn't buy it, and if I don't have access to the app store since I didn't backup and erased my hard drive then how would I get lion or mountain lion back on to it?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

As you do not own it very difficult. Will cause headaches the operating system belonging always to the purchaser and not the computer. Suggest you ring Apple and order Snow Leopard at $29. install that and upgrade to version OS X.6.8 and go into the App Store, set up and account in the App Store, download Mountain Lion, burn to a USB thumb drive prior to installing, and then install and update Mountain Lion. Here is how to make the thumb drive:-

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/25/build...r-thumb-drive/

QUOTE Thanks
andylam

Ok if I buy the disc how would I even use it if i can only go into recovery mode
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Depends on the model yet to be established. If it will run Snow Leopard OS X.6, ring Apple and order that DVD. Saw elsewhere number is 1800-my-apple. Did you purchase Mountain Lion or was it also a copy?

What operating system did the computer run when new? We can find this out if you provide model details.

QUOTE Thanks
andylam

It's a MacBook in mid 2010 I believe.
The mountain lion is a copy

Would it work if I made a boot-able thumb drive from my sister computer which has mountain lion for will that not work?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Very adverse to lashing out and buying SL. The thumb drive has to be made prior to running the Installer. Once installed the package vanishes.

QUOTE Thanks
andylam

Ok so once I get snow leopard how would I use it?
Wohen I put in snow leopard what would I have to do so my computer will have sl on it.
QUOTE Thanks
andylam

Can anyone else help?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Put the SL DVD in your optical drive and double click on the installer and follow the prompts and that really all there is too it .

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Huge files | Black Screen »