New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Which RAM of these 2?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

I want to add 4 GB of RAM memory to my iMac mid-2011 i5 21.5".

What's the difference between these two? (Results from Corsair's memory finder tool.)

Corsair Mac Memory — 4GB DDR3 SODIMM Memory Kit (CMSA4GX3M1A1333C9) single stick

Corsair Mac Memory — 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SODIMM Memory Kit (CMSA4GX3M1A1066C7) single stick

Difference I see is 9-9-9-2-4 or 7-7-7-2-0 between the two, repectively; what do these figures mean?

Also, is there any advantage to having 1 stick of 4 GB vs. 2 sticks of 2 GBs?
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Purchase from OWC or Crucial…it's much easier!

- OWC
- Crucial

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

OWC sells memory especially for Macs and they list the following options for your iMac..

Looking at the specifics, the memory has CL: CAS 9-9-9-24, so the Corsair memory you found that matches these Cas/Latency settings would be the one that I would recommend..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Plus one of them is 1333Mhz and one is 1066Mhz.

Your iMac uses 1333Mhz memory, aka PC3 10600 DDR3 SO-Dimms.

OWC or Crucial are much easier.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

All right, so this appears to be what I need and according to them 2 2g sticks are better than 1 4 g (on top of my installed 2 X 2 Gs).

OWC 1333DDR3S04S 4.0GB (2x2.0GB Kit) PC3-10600 DDR3... in stock at OWC

(Wow, memory sure is cheap these days!)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post

(Wow, memory sure is cheap these days!)
Depends what computer the ram is for. 4gig (2 x 2gig) for your iMac is $21.99…4gig (2 x 2gig) for my MacBook is $55.97.

Sounds like you found what you needed…congrats!

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

This is what you want for a kid 2011 iMac:-

Memory up to 32GB for Apple iMac 2011 Thunderbolt equipped models

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

Got my RAM in (added 4 to the 4). As expected, no change in speed but with only 7 tabs running (of ordinary websites) this thing is consuming 5Gs of it. I don't know where it's all going. Now I wish I had gone for more (almost).
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdotdot View Post
Got my RAM in (added 4 to the 4). As expected, no change in speed but with only 7 tabs running (of ordinary websites) this thing is consuming 5Gs of it. I don't know where it's all going. Now I wish I had gone for more (almost).
Adding ram to a computer does not always result in any sort of speed increases. You had 4gig of ram to begin with (which really is not all that bad). If you only had 1 or 2 gig of ram...and went to 4 or 8gig...then you would probably have seen more of a performance increase (snappiness).

In the average users case...going from 4 gig to 8gig of ram simply helps to insure that no single application is "starved" for ram. And with 8gig of ram...you can open more apps...with less of a chance of a decrease in performance.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

I've noticed that it now devotes much more space to "inactive". So with 3 website tabs running, and after surfing all day, 3.74 is inactive. As I understand it, it holds in memory pages I might re-visit. This is unique to Macs I assume.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 21" vs 27" iMac | Let's Talk Mac Mini »